Kindrogan P7 Visit

Day 4
In the morning we went on a bus ride to an old village which had been abandoned during the clearances. We dressed up as the people who used to live there. We learnt about their diet, way of life, their houses and why they left. It was very cold there so they must have been freezing when they lived there.

In the afternoon, we did the leap of faith which is a big jump. Then after that we did crate climbing. The leap of faith made some people scared but the crate climbing wasn’t as scary.

In the evening, we went on a night walk and it was snowing really hard. We also had a snow ball fight and we got ambushed!

See you all tomorrow about 3:30.

Published by Hayley, Jennifer and Ivy

Day 3

In the morning we did river dipping, and found what kinds of bugs live in it e.g water nymph or the great diving beetle (who ate the rest of our bugs).

Then in the afternoon we went pond dipping and found some killer beetles and fish but because they were not invertebrates (invertebrates are animals without a backbone) we had to let them go. Then we put them in a petri dish and looked at them from under a microscope. It was really scary because it made it look gigantic.

We learned about habitats, diversity, metamorphosis and adaptation. We found out that the river is more diverse because it has a bigger variety of animals in it.

In the evening Duncan’s group set traps for mammals and will find what they have caught in the morning.Rich’s group did the egg challenge but they all died. Last night Rich’s  group caught a vole when they did mammal trapping.

Written by Hayley, Jennifer, Ivy and Sophie

Day 2

Tuesday was loads of fun(apart from wet socks).

First we built a National Park out of natural resources like twigs, stones, leaves, pine cones and snow. We all managed to  make a brilliant National Park.

Next we learnt how to make a fire out of lichen, twigs, cotton wool and Vaseline. Most people got a flame using only a flint.

In the afternoon we all went on a walk up Kindrogan Hill in the snow, most people got wet but it was worth it . We got told ghost  stories in a cemetery half way up. Near the top we made shelters out of logs.

After supper we did an egg challenge where you  drop an egg out of a window. It was fun making a parachute out of newspaper. Some eggs cracked some never.

by Jodie and Jennifer

Here are some pictures:

Day 1

Everyone is having a great time and have already learned about orienteering, national parks, GPS and humane mammal traps.

After a slight hiccup on the journey down (locked public loos in Stonehaven) we made it through the sleet to a very warm and enthusiastic welcome from the Kindrogan staff.
We spent the remainder of the afternoon in the snow orienteering and doing the low ropes course.

After a really nice three course dinner we went out into the night to navigate by GPS and to trap small mammals for study tomorrow.

Watch this space for photos …

6 thoughts on “Kindrogan P7 Visit”

1. Good Morning Everyone
    It sounds as if you have already been very busy doing all sorts of interesting things.

We have quite a bit of snow in Ellon this morning but by the sound of the weather forecast you have more snow at Kindrogan. I am sure that it’s beautiful down there in the snow.

On listening to the information line last night it would seem that you had a very nice meal.
    Did you go out to look at your mammal traps last night? What did you find in them?

Well P7’s I hope that you have a fantastic day today and remember to wrap up well for your hill walk. I am looking forward to seeing your photographs.
    Enjoy your day.

2. Many thanks for taking the time to post those pics, it looks like you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\’re all having a blast. I was so pleased to see Charlotte having fun, although I must admit I had a wee tear in my eye. Enjoy guys and I hope the weather holds out for you 🙂

3. Sounds like you guys are having a good time… Gutted I didn\’t make it am keeping up to date on the blog. See you next week (hopefully!) Cam.

4. Afternoon All
    Wow you made it to the top of the hill in the snow, fantastic.
    It looks as if you were all having fire without matches sounds like a ‘Bear Grylls’kind of thing to do. Did you all manage to do that?

What about you’re mammal trips? What did you find in them?

I look forward to your reply and to finding out about you day 3 adventures.

5. Hope you’re all enjoying your last day. The photos and updates have been fab! Safe journey home tomorrow.

6. Hello P7’s and Teachers
    I have enjoyed reading about your Kindrogan adventures each day. I have been so busy these last two days that I have not had an opportunity to leave you a comment until now.

Your day 3 photographs show that you have been busy with a wide variety of activities. Learning outdoors in the snow looks like fun! I hope that you come back with lots of ideas for outdoor learning that we could do in and around our school grounds and Ellon town.

The visit to the abandoned highland village sounds interesting and I am sure that you now know more about the highland clearances. No central heating in those highland homes! Birrrrrrr

Have a great last day tomorrow and we look forward to seeing you all sometime around 3.30pm