Portrush Pupils Have Landed

Last week Mill Strand Integrated Primary School from Portrush, County Antrim came to visit Tayvallich Primary School for 3 days as part of our shared Heritage Lottery Funded Project-where we are re-establishing our links between Argyll and Northern Ireland.
On their first evening, they came to our community exhibition about Dun Mhuirich, that we held with Kilmartin House Museum. There is an Iron Age fort there, but during a recent archaeological dig, Roddy (the archaeologist), thinks that he has found the remains of a medieval house below the fort that was lived in by a family, who were originally from Northern Ireland.

Little is known about life in medieval times in Argyll. That’s why they are called the Dark Ages (and not because of all the knights!). Because of this we tried to show the community and our friends from Portrush what life was like at Dun Mhuirich during this time, so we dressed up in the medieval costumes we had made, showed our display boards that tell everyone about aspects of medieval life and exhibited our series of paintings which depict medieval times in Argyll.
Lots of people came and it was a great success.

One thought on “Portrush Pupils Have Landed

1. Really interesting to hear about Argyll’s link with Portrush. I have been lucky enough to spend a lot of time in Portrush when I was growing up as this is my mum’s home town. My favourite place is the white rocks -fabulous beach almost as good as our Argyll ones!
    I hope all of the pupils have a great time learning more about the heritage and the Scottish/Irish connections.