crofting connections Strachur

Croftastic!
Tighnabruaich, Toward and Strachur Primary schools had an amazing day at Strachur Memorial Hall taking part in a Crofting Connections day.
There were various activities such as felting, quilting and willow and paper weaving. We enjoyed tasting fish and sea food and learning about the salmon’s life-cycle. We found out how to ‘waulk’ the cloth, card wool, use drop spindles, weave, and learned lots of sheep and wool facts.

We also made and tasted delicious oatcakes, were inspired by the life-story of John Muir and were surprised to find out what various artefacts were used for.
We would like to thank all the people who gave up their time to teach us about crofting; National Park rangers, Loch Fyne Oysters, Seafood into Schools, Kilmartin Museum, Strachur History Society, Strachur quilters, and all the parent and community volunteers and teachers.
SAL would also like to thank Dunoon Observer and the Argyllshire Standard for the use of the photos

2 thoughts on “crofting connections Strachur

1. Well done everyone – it sounds like you had a brilliant time through at Strachur – the crofting connections work is something I would be interested in hearing about. I saw some work through at Inverary last year and I was really impressed. I’m sure the children will remember this experience – good to see schools getting together.