Dunoon Grammar Legal Eagles Soar on Work Visit

Three Dunoon Grammar School pupils experienced a day in the life of an active Criminal Defence lawyer during a visit to McCusker, McElroy & Gallanagh last Friday.

The three soon-to-be Law School students – Georgia Brown, Georgia Wallace and Cambeul Walker – shadowed Terry Gallanagh, a partner at the Paisley based Solicitors.

The work experience visit encompassed a wide range of experiences, including attending sentencing courts and trials in progress. The pupils also visited prisoner cells in Paisley Sheriff Court.

Georgia Wallace commented:

“Our visit to McCusker, McElroy & Gallanagh was really, really interesting. It was at times very intense, witnessing the verdicts and sentences being passed down – impacting greatly on the lives of those involved. It has certainly helped me clarify my own future as I now wish to pursue a career in Criminal Defence Law rather than Commercial legal practice.”

David Mitchell, Head Teacher of Dunoon Grammar added:

“Our three pupils had a first class work shadowing experience. It was a real eye-opener to the day-to-day role of a Criminal Defence lawyer, a role critical to our entire justice system. I am delighted that our young people were so enthused with their experience and keen to explore Criminal Defence law as a future career. I would like to thank Terry Gallanagh at McCusker, McElroy & Gallanagh for the time spent with our young people on the visit”.