DGS Physics Phenomenons Storm into Semi-Finals

Three senior physics students at Dunoon Grammar School enjoyed success in the first round of the West of Scotland Physics Education Group competition.

S5 pupils Rowan Oxland, Peter Swift and Scott Morton worked on a number of University standard physics experiments before putting their knowledge to the test in a series of quiz style tasks.

The DGS physicists secured a comfortable victory over three other teams – from Glennifer High, Drumchapel High and All Saints High – with a healthy lead of 12 points from their nearest round one rivals.

The experiments conducted by the pupils included making a magnet levitate using liquid nitrogen over a super conductor to create a magnetic field which made another magnet placed on top float and spin almost friction free!

Rowan Oxland, who participated in the coveted competition two years ago, claiming an excellent second place in the semi-finals commented:
‘The competition is pretty fun and gives you the opportunity to do lots of experiments. I enjoy physics because it is logical and it’s the same wherever you go’

Next up is for the Higher Physics students is the semi-finals which will be held at the University of Glasgow later in the year – with Rowan hoping she and the rest of the team can go a stage further than last time. All three are happy with their reward for getting into the semi-final – a highly prized ‘I love physics’ mug!
Head Teacher Mr Mitchell commented:
“I would like to congratulate our three physicists on securing a place in the semi-finals of this highly regarded competition. Our pupils beat off stiff competition from three excellent schools and I wish our team well for the semi-finals later this year. I would like to thank Mr McNeilage from the school’s Science Department for supporting their efforts and progress”.

One thought on “DGS Physics Phenomenons Storm into Semi-Finals