Outstanding Mid Argyll Pupils!

Teachers all over Scotland are currently trying to find creative, inspiring and meaningful ways to implement Curriculum for Excellence in their schools.
We all know we want our pupils to be confident, to be effective contributors in their local community, to be responsible citizens who understand the merits of teamwork and successful learners who achieve the highest standards.

As I sat in the small audience in the Council Chamber in Kilmory on Saturday afternoon enthralled by the first ever performance by Argyll Brass; a group of brass and percussion players who only came together in January of this year from many schools in Mid Argyll and North Kintyre, it suddenly came to me – this was Curriculum for Excellence in action. This is what schools are aiming for – my goodness, it made me proud!

Brought together by their instrumental instructor, Darren Tarn, ably support by woodwind instructor, Miriam MacKay, the children meet every Wednesday evening in Lochgilphead Joint Campus. The young people, from P.6 to S5, have worked tirelessly to get the band up and running, from deciding on their uniforms to helping with fundraising. Mr. Tarn leads the group but it is clear that he values each individual member and makes sure that decisions on the way forward are thoroughly discussed with the children and the parents to ensure the band’s success.

This is truly is a whole community endeavour and one which Mid Argyll can be proud of and become increasingly aware of as the band perform in many venues throughout Mid Argyll this summer.

Alan Fernie, one of the UK’s most prominent composers, as the Argyllshire Advertiser reported this week, worked with the youngsters all day on Saturday and thanks to support from The Brass Band Association who provided initial funding, the children benefited greatly from his expertise and enthusiasm.

The aim for the band is to enter the Scottish Brass Band Championships in November – let’s wish them all luck!
Fiona Johnson

5 thoughts on “Outstanding Mid Argyll Pupils!

1. What a lot of work, I wish I could have seen the performance. Here’s to going from strength to strength!

2. Fantastic work. So very proud of you both Miriam and Darren. You give so many young people a great start learning to play an instrument.

3. Quality articles or reviews is the main to be a focus for
    the users to go to see the site, that’s what this site is providing.