The Vikings Are Coming!

As you know, Class 2 are learning about The Vikings. We learned that The Vikings came to Orkney in Northern Scotland. We’ve been looking at photographs of the Orkney coastline to get an idea of what The Vikings would have seen on their approach to Orkney.
We looked at pictures and were able to spot some interesting features such as…

‘the smooth shiny sea’ Liam

‘the sharp grass’ Aiden

blog 2

At Art we have been learning to create texture. We painted beautiful pictures of the Orkney shore line and named our work ‘The Vikings Are Coming!’ Our challenge was to use a range of objects to create texture in our paintings. We spoke about how the land features would feel if we were to touch them, and tried to create texture using printing techniques.

‘Texture makes your pictures smooth. You can make it smooth by using materials such as Lego, paint and even a rolling pin’. Cody

‘I tried to create rocks using a wood chip this made a rough texture. I used my finger and Lego bricks to create the sharp grassy texture’. Aiden

‘I used rough material, the texture brush and the sponge roller to paint the jaggy rocks’. Cameron

blog 1
We are looking forward to sharing our art work at the Balbardie Art Exhibition.

One thought on “The Vikings Are Coming!”

1. Hi Class 2,

It looks like you had lots of fun creating your Viking landscape pictures this week. Did you make a lot of mess investigating different textures? I’m looking forward to seeing your finished pieces of art work.

Have a lovely weekend.

Miss Henderson