P5d

Table of the week – Minions 760 points

Congratulations to Eve on being chosen to recite her Scottish poem at the finals next Tuesday! Well done to the P5d runners up, Ava and Ray.

TOPIC

On Wednesday this week we visited the Bennie Museum as part of our topic work learning about toys in the past. We learned some skipping rhymes and some Scottish rhymes that children would gather together and say during their playtime at school. We are also looking at how to write a biography of Queen Victoria.

Mhairi H – I was surprised to find out that poor Victorian children might only get an apple, an orange and a sugar mouse in their Christmas stocking.

Here’s Shaun B playing with a Gird and Cleek.

Maths

Our mental maths this week has focussed on subtraction and as always our times tables. We have also started learning more about 2D shape. Some of us are learning about sides, corners and angles while others have been learning to identify which shape will tile. We’ve had lots of fun making up tile patterns in our jotters.

Sam D – I have learned that when a shape tiles the tile pattern goes on forever but shapes like a pentagon and circle don’t tile because they leave gaps.

Class Novel

It won’t be long now until we finish our class novel The Boy in the Dress. We have had lots of very interesting discussions about this book. We also designed a magazine cover that Dennis (the boy in the dress) would like. We all agree that Shaun H designed a very eye-catching and interesting cover by combining a superhero theme with dress designs.

Magazine cover by Shaun H

Have a good weekend !

2 thoughts on “P5d”

1. Hi Primary 5d,

I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Bennie Museum on Wednesday and learning about life in the past. I wonder what Victorian children would think of all of the gifts we receive at Christmas nowadays. Did you enjoy playing with the grid and cleek, Shaun B? Your magazine cover is excellent, Shaun H. Well done.

Have a lovely weekend.

Miss Henderson

2. Hello 5d,

I very much enjoyed having some of you come and share your learning with me. You have really enjoyed the David Walliams novels you’ve been reading and I’m so pleased you are keen to read more. I can see the novels have inspired you to create some of your best work. Well done!

I noticed some of you working carefully on your tile patterns in class on Tuesday. Does anyone know the other mathematical word for tiling? 10 extra house points to the first person to post!

Enjoy your weekend,
    Mrs Spence