Primary 2/1

This week Mrs Jamieson found a clue and a map outside our classroom door.  We followed the map which led us to… another map!  There were 5 maps in total.

Lucy and Ben took turns at being the photographer. Good job guys!

The final map led us to a Primary 4l and Logan’s big brother helped us search the classroom.  Carter found a key which opened our box.  Inside the box were slates from Victorian times. We all had a go at writing letters on the slates which was very tricky!

My big brother helped me find the key. Thanks Carter!

Mrs Jamieson then remembered that there was an old hand bell in the school.  It was very loud!  Mrs White came along to class and told us stories about the bell.  Thank you Mrs White.

If you know an interesting fact about schools in the past please let us know…

4 thoughts on “Primary 2/1”

1. Hi Primary 2/1b,

I love the pictures that you took of your map hunt. It really is a very exciting time that you are having in school. Did you know that a show maker used to have a room at the side of the school where he made shoes for children who didn’t have any shoes to wear to school? The new bit of the building has covered up the doorway but I think it’s a very interesting story about our school. It was very kind of Cater to help you to find the key and for Mrs White to tell you all about the school bell. Keep up the exciting work.

Miss Henderson

2. In victorian times children wrote on slates with chalk, which we found in the box,they wiped it clean by spitting on it and rubbing it with their coat sleeve or their finger. EWW!!!

3. A Victorian teacher would punish children if they were naughty by hitting them with a belt on their hand or back of their legs. I’m glad I didn’t go to school then!! by Oliver P2/1

4. Hi Rowan, thank you for your comment, I’m glad that you are enjoying our topic. I’ve added your comment to this page too so that we can look at in class next week:

“In large families the oldest girls would often not go to school, so that they could help at home.

I liked when we found the keys in our sandpit. I also liked when we found all the maps.

When we all sat in the circle and talked about finding the maps, that was fun.”

Rowan Erskine

Thank you to Logan, Oliver and Miss Henderson for all your interesting facts too! I can’t wait to share them with the other girls and boys on Monday.