24th June

Goodbye boys and girls 

You have all been amazing this year.  Thank you so much for all your hard work both in school and at home – I am so proud of you all.  And thank you grown ups for all your hard work with home learning – I know it’s been challenging at times!  I loved all the photos you sent in showing me your work and lots of happy faces.  I also really enjoyed reading all your messages.

I will hopefully see you tomorrow when I pop around for a wave!

Now hopefully you can all enjoy some fun and relaxing time with your families.  Wishing you all a safe and happy summer holiday.

Mrs Chan x

22nd June

Hello Boys and Girls

It’s the last week of Primary One!  Can you believe it?  Usually the last week in school is filled with fun activities and I don’t why this week should be any different 🙂

Here are some fun summer themed jobs for you to complete this week. As always, there are additional activities in the tabs above. Also the blog will stay live over summer in case there are any fun activities you would still like to try.

Summer Mini Topic

Summer Activity Booklet

Summer Addition and Subtraction

I hope you have a fun last week! Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything.

It’s been wonderful getting to know you all and I have enjoyed watching you grow and become more confident.  Thank you boys and girls for all your hard work and the fun activities we completed together. Well done for completing Primary One in exceptional circumstances and thank you grown ups for all your support.

I am hoping to pop around to see you all on Thursday and wave goodbye  – I am so looking forward to seeing all your smiley faces.

I hope you all have a fantastic summer with your families.

Keep safe.

Mrs Chan x

Check-in Station (9)

Hello Boys and Girls

I hope you’ve been having lots of fun completing some of the sports day activities.  I have seen some great photos – well done.  Also good luck if you are planning a performance for Burnside’s Got Talent.  Finally, remember to send me a photo of you being a ‘Little Miss’ or ‘Mr Man’, it could be your favourite character or you can create your own.

This is your last check in as a Primary 1 and then you’ll be back to school as a Primary 2

Let me know what you’ve been up to boys and girls, I really enjoy reading your messages.

Mrs Chan x

15th June

Good Morning Everyone

Wow this is going to be a busy week!

I hope you are all ready to take part in activities related to Sports Day. Keep an eye on twitter and the school app for activities to take part in  – I know how active you have been these past few weeks, so I think you will be great.

Also there is Burnside’s Got Talent. I am looking forward to watching your performances on twitter.

Primary 1 Yearbook

Let Mr. Men Little Miss Put A Smile On Your Face | My 1st Years Blog

Miss Ferry had this great idea to create a little keepsake of our year in primary 1. I know we have a few Mr Men and Little Miss fans in our class so I thought we could use this as our theme. If you would like to take part, follow the instructions below.

1. Decide what Mr or Little Miss you are going to be. It can reflect your interests/hobbies and does not need to be one from the stories.
  2. Take a photo posing as the Mr/Little Miss you have chosen.
  3. Send your photo and a note of your Mr/Little Miss to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk by Thursday 18th June.
  4. Please use the subject line Room 1 Mrs Chan to make sure I don’t miss any.

I’ll pop them together in a virtual yearbook which will be uploaded to our school twitter page on Monday 22nd June. No names will be matched with photos. Only your Mr/Little Miss name will be used.

AND ……Here are this weeks suggested activities and as always only complete what suits you and your family.

Literacy Activities

Boys and girls, I think you are going to like this weeks activities.  They are all about the story ‘Goldilocks and the 3 bears’, but with a difference! You all created amazing versions of this story: read this version – is it as good as yours?

Read this version by clicking on the link below:

Goldilocks

Can you read some of the story with expression and then think of some advice for Goldilocks.

Reading Task

In the writing task, you are asked to think about consequences.

Writing Task

In the task below you can watch the traditional tale ‘Goldilocks and the 3 Bears’ or read it (if you have it at home) and think about words which are repeated.

Listening and Speaking

Also try to read a story every day.  The links to free stories to listen to and/or read can be found in the ‘Free Books’ tab.

If you wish to follow up a story with a discussion then the ‘Prompt cards’ can be used.  They can be found in the reading booklet issued and are also available in the reading tab above.

• Revise phonemes ‘h ’ and ‘ w ’. Please make sure your child can correctly form theses letters.
  • Continue to practise the common words. Use the tab above for ideas on ways of practising them.  Also have ago at writing short sentences using the common words.

I have added another tab above called ‘Literacy Activities’, please take a look. There are a  mixture of additional resources or you may want to give one of the ‘Talk for Writing’ tasks ago, instead of doing the tasks above.

Maths and Numeracy Activities

• Numbers to 20 booklet page 24

• Addition and Subtraction booklet page 92

• Money booklet page 289

These additional tasks this week involve some counting and then focus on shape.

Shape game

Shapes – count the sides

Counting and shape templates

Use the link below to practise counting in 10s

counting in 10s

General Activities

Family heart collage activity

life cycle of a sunflower activity

5 senses scavenger hunt

These following activities involve creating animals using a toilet roll;

Toilet Roll Owl

Toilet Roll Bunny

Toilet Roll Ladybird

Toilet Roll Octopus

The check in station will go up on Thursday this week, so please let me know what you have been up to.

Please continue to send in photos, I love seeing what you’ve all been up to.  You can send in photos to the address below and I’ll post them on our blog in the ‘gallery’. Remember our blog is public so please don’t send photos that have children in them. Names will not be matched with photos. This email address will be used by several classes, so please use the subject line ‘Room 1 Mrs Chan’ in every message you send to make sure I don’t miss any.

gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

Let me know if you have any questions, need help with anything or if any of the links don’t work.

Keep safe everyone.

Mrs Chan x

Check- in Station (8)

Hello boys and girls

I hope you are all keeping well and safe.  It’s that time of week when you can post me a message letting me know what you’ve been up too.  I really enjoy reading all your messages and hearing all your news.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mrs Chan x

8th June

Good Morning Everyone

I hope you are all keeping well and had a great weekend. Here is the link to World Oceans Day;

World Oceans Day

There are lots of great videos and activities for different age groups, so choose the ones you feel will suit your child – I hope you enjoy them.

Here are this weeks suggested activities and as always only complete what suits you and your family.

Literacy Activities

This weeks activities are about creating lists.  The story is called ‘Teddy’s Lists’, here is the link to the story

Teddy’s Lists

The Reading Activity begins with reading the story ‘Teddy’s Lists’ and then create an invitation for a guest for a party.

The Writing Activity is about writing lists and then having a go at writing a shopping list.

The Listening and Speaking Activity involves reading Dear Zoo (there is a link to watching it), creating a list of the animals but also thinking about a perfect pet.

• Complete page 12  from the phonics booklet. I have included photos of these below for anyone without the home learning pack.

• Revise phonemes ‘b’ and ‘u ’. Please make sure your child can correctly form theses letters.

I have also added some extra reading activities to the tab too, taken from BBC bitesize.

Maths and Numeracy Activities

• Numbers to 20 booklet page 54

• Addition and Subtraction booklet page 61

• Money booklet page 287

Here are some additional games which can be played to support number work;
  • Counting and playing a game using coins. ( Ask your child to help draw the board game, instead of printing it)

Counting and coin game

• Counting beyond 20 and paying for items using coins.

counting beyond 20

• Money games.

Money games

General Activities

I have not added any additional activities here this week as there are the World Oceans Day activities and also below a competition you might want to give a go.

Please see the ‘General Activities’ tab above if you would like to do additional tasks.

Nature in Your Neighbourhood Competition

Into Film are asking children to create a short film and use nature and their surroundings in an engaging and creative way, to capture the calmness and document something they’ve noticed or appreciated while spending more time in their local area. The makers of the winning film will receive a home filmmaking bundle worth £300, and two runners up will get their hands on a year’s subscription to Netflix. The closing date for entries is Friday 19 June 2020. You can find out more at the link below.

Nature in your Neighbourhood Competition

Sports Day

Although we can’t be together this year, we are looking forward to taking part in an even bigger Sports WEEK.

During the week commencing 15th June, we will post some sporting challenges each day on twitter/school app and we challenge as many pupils (and staff & parents) to take part as possible! Of course, we will want to see that you have joined in so during w/c 15th June, please e-mail your photos to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk adding ‘Sports Week’ as well as your child’s name and class in the subject box.

Burnside’s Got Talent

We know how much talent our pupils have so let’s share this again this year. Between 15th – 19th June you are invited to tweet a video/photo of your child’s performance on twitter. Tweet @burnsideprim and we will re-tweet. There will also be a special certificate on the app/twitter for you to download and award to your child from us. Through the years we have enjoyed amazing performances from musicians, singers, actors, comedians, magicians and gymnasts to name but a few. Time to get practising!

gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

Keep safe everyone.

Mrs Chan x

Ist June

Good Morning Everyone

Wow June! The months are flying by and we’re now into Summer – Can you name the other summer months?

I hope you and your families continue to keep well and are managing some time outside to enjoy this beautiful sunny weather.

Below are this weeks suggested activities.  Remember to work through them at your and your child’s own pace and only complete what suits your household. Also take a look at the extra activities in the Literacy and Maths tabs above, there might be something there that your child would like to do, as an alternative or extra.

Literacy Activities

This weeks activities are about rhyme.  Two books are used to illustrate the rhymes but maybe have a look to see if you have any other rhyming stories ( Julia Donaldson has some great examples). Also encourage your child to hear the rhyme rather than read it.

The first task uses the book ‘Oi Frog’. There is a link to the book below.

Speaking and Listening task

The reading task uses the book ‘Dogs eat Frogs’ 

It asks your child to think about the rhymes and also about asking questions.

Reading Task

The writing task is about creating sentences and your child is asked to think of their own sentences for ‘Oi Frog’

Writing Task

• Revise phonemes ‘b’ and ‘u’. Please make sure your child can correctly form theses letters.

Maths and Numeracy

• Numbers to 20 booklet page 71

• Money booklet page 287

Here are some  additional number activities which can be used to support number work:

Counting to 20 and back

Memory Game

Estimating

General Activities

Here are a few ideas but there are plenty of others to choose from in the ‘General Activity’ tab.

Make a symmetrical butterfly

Build a pyramid

Go camping

Create a positive message for your window

As always the above activities are suggestions and so only complete what you and your family have time for.

Also just to give you a bit of advanced notice – next Monday (8th June) is            World Ocean Day . There are a lot of different activities on their website. The link to their website is below but I will put a link up next week too.

World Ocean Day

gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

Keep safe everyone.

Mrs Chan x

Check in Station (6)

Hello Everyone

It’s that time of the week again, when I would love to hear that you’re ok and anything that you have been up to.

It’s such beautiful weather, I am sure you are spending lots of time outside.

Looking forward to hearing all your news.

Mrs Chan x     

26th May

Good Morning Everyone

It’s Tuesday!! I hope you all had a lovely weekend with your families. #kindness continues this week at Burnside, so keep your photos coming in.

I have added a ‘Support’ page to the tabs above.  It contains stories to help explain the coronavirus and lockdown, advice if your child is worried and also some information and support for grown ups.

Another short week but  I will put up the normal suggested activities, so you can choose which ones to complete and leave those which you do not have time for.  As always they are suggestions and should fit around your household and its circumstances.

This weeks suggested activities are:

This is a short clip by professor Ruth Merttens on ‘Reading with young children’. It is made for parents to offer some support and advice. I hope you find it useful and reassuring.

Helping young children to read

The tasks this week compare the story Billy Dogs Gruff with the 3 Billy Goats Gruff

The  Reading Task starts with reading the Billy Dogs Gruff story and then suggests making comparisons with the 3 Billy Goats Gruff and also thinking of possible captions for the dogs.

The Writing Task asks your child to think of places where the troll might live – I am sure they will think of some great places.

The Listening and Speaking task involves retelling the story using puppets (make your own there is no need to print out the templates).  There is an additional task to make masks too.

• Complete page 11  from the phonics booklet. I have included photos of these below for anyone without the home learning pack.

• Revise phonemes ‘f’ and ‘o ’. Please make sure your child can correctly form theses letters.

Maths and Numeracy Activities

I have added another tab above ‘Numeracy and Maths’. It contains a grid which shows work which has been covered in term 2,  with ideas on how to support your child’s learning.  There is also a grid with mental maths ideas and also some ideas on helping your child learn to tell the time.

• Numbers to 20 booklet page 70

• Addition and Subtraction booklet page 57

• Money booklet page 285

Here are some additional games which can be played to support number work:
  • Counting to 20 and learning about odd and even numbers;

Odd and Even numbers

• Counting in 2s and playing a number games;

counting in 2s

• Counting in 10s using 10p coins;

counting in 10s

General Activities

Make a paper plate bird

Build a bridge for a toy

Carry out a puff test

gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

Keep safe everyone.

Mrs Chan x