Homework

23rd – 29th April

Primary 1

Phonics
  • In the yellow book practise writing and drawing for  the ‘v’ and ‘oo’ sounds. Stick in pictures, write the letter using careful formations. There are some ideas under the action picture to read to your child. Have a go at writing and reading some words.
  • Listen to the songs below and practise the actions.
  • Use the coloured cards with letters on them. Play games with these sounds and use them along with all the other sound cards collected to make little words.

Reading

• Read the words on the pages and talk about the stories.
  • Some children have reading cards to pair up with pictures.
  • In their tin/tub/bag there are some words to practise reading. Read these every day and I will remove them when I have heard them read them fluently in class. If you haven’t done so already could you provide a little tin/tub for your child to keep words in.
  • Share school library books- these should be returned every Friday.
  • Read with your child every day.

Maths

• Use 10 cubes to help complete the number bonds sheet.

Primary 2

Reading
  • Reading books-  ask your child to read the words on the pages and talk about the story/facts. Add some expression.
  • There is a reading card with ideas for reading at home.
  • Look at library books together- please return them by Friday each week.
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy
  • Use  jotters and/or choose activity/ies from the spelling grid to practise the correct spellings. I shall be asking them to spell these for me next Tuesday. Try to do a few activities to ensure your child is remembering the correct spellings. 

Maths

• Complete the sheet rounding numbers to the nearest 10.
  • Use the little 0-100 number line they made to help find the answers.

Reading

• Read the words on the pages and talk about the story.
  • Read with your child every day.

Maths

• Complete the quarters sheet.

Primary 2

Reading
  • Read the little words in the tub/tin, if they still have some.
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy

Maths

• Complete the fractions sheet.
  • have a go at the Hit The Button Game Below. Choose Halves, then Halves to 10.

Hit The Button

5th – 11th March

Primary 1

Phonics
  • In the yellow book practise writing and drawing for the ‘ee’ and ‘or’ sounds. Stick in pictures, write the letter using careful formations. There are some ideas under the action picture to read to your child. Have a go at writing and reading some words.
  • Listen to the song below and practise the actions.
  • Go back through the book and practise the other sounds and actions- especially the double vowel sounds- ie, oa and ai

Reading

• Read with your child every day.

Maths

• Complete the sheet. Use the number cards 0- 20 to help you.
  • Play the subtraction game in the link below.

Subtraction to 10 game

Primary 2

Reading
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy

Maths

• Complete the addition and subtraction sheet- use doubles, near doubles, number bonds, counting on/back or number line strategies.
  • Play the game in the link below- select subtraction- up to 10, and if they are getting confident try -up to 20

Subtraction Train

28th February – 4th March

Primary 1

Phonics
  • In the yellow book practise writing and drawing for the ‘ie’ sound. Stick in pictures, write the letter using careful formations. There are some ideas under the action picture to read to your child. Have a go at writing and reading some words.
  • Listen to the song below and practise the action.
  • Go back through the book and practise the other sounds and actions

Reading

• Inside the reading book there should be a little bag of words. Read these and play games with them eg. point to the word ‘Kipper’, turn over and say. Read the words on the pages and talk about the story.
  • Read with your child every day.

Maths

Complete the sheet. Use the numbers to 20 to help you.

Primary 2

Reading
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy

Maths

• Complete the sheet.

Primary 2

Reading
  • Reading books-  ask your child to read the words on the pages and talk about the story/facts
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy
  • Use  jotters and/or choose activity/ies from the spelling grid to practise the correct spellings. I shall be asking them to spell these for me next Tuesday. Try to do a few activities to ensure your child is remembering the correct spellings. Many of the children found last weeks words quite tricky to remember how to spell.

Maths

20th – 27th February

Primary 1

Phonics
  • In the yellow book practise writing and drawing for the ‘oa sound. Stick in pictures, write the letter using careful formations. There are some ideas under the action picture to read to your child. Have a go at writing some words.
  • Listen to the songs below and practise the actions

Reading

• Read with your child every day.

Maths

Complete sheet –  use the 0-20 cards from last week to do the activities and work out the answers.

Primary 2

Reading
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy

Maths

• Practise doubles to 20
  • Use doubles to help work out the answers on the sheet
  • Play Hit the Button game- select Doubles and the Doubles to 10

Hit the Button

13th – 19th February

Primary 1

Phonics
  • In the yellow book practise writing and drawing for the ‘j’ sound. Stick in pictures, write the letter using careful formations. There are some ideas under the action picture to read to your child. Have a go at writing some words.

Reading

• Inside the reading book there should be a little bag of words. Read these and play games with them eg. pairs, turn over and say. Read the words on the pages and talk about the story.

Maths

Complete sheet – cut out and use the 0-20 cards.

Primary 2

Reading
  • Read the little words in the tub/tin. Please keep these in their folders and I shall remove and replace words as they become confident at reading them to me.
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy
  • Use  jotters and/or choose activity/ies from the spelling grid to practise the correct spellings. I shall be asking them to spell these for me next Tuesday. Try to do a few activities to ensure your child is remembering the correct spellings. They found last weeks words quite tricky to remember how to spell.

Maths

• use counters to set out answers for the part part whole models and fill in the missing numbers.
  • The back of the sheet is just for practising on.

6th – 12th February

Primary 1

Phonics
  • In the yellow book practise writing and drawing for the ‘ai’ sound. Stick in pictures, write the letters using careful formations. There are some ideas under the action picture to read to your child. Have a go at writing some words.

• Use all the coloured letter cards to build some little words

Reading

Maths

Complete sheet – use counters provided

Primary 2

Reading
  • Read the little words in the tub/tin. Some children have ‘tricky words’ – these words just need to be remembered(not sounded out eg. my, give ). Please keep these in their folders and I shall remove and replace words as they become confident at reading them to me.
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy

Maths

• Complete number bonds to 20 sheet
  • Use the rekenrek provided

23rd – 29th January

Primary 1

Phonics
  • In the yellow book practise writing and drawing for the ‘l’ and ‘f’ sounds. Stick in pictures, write the letters using careful formations. There are some ideas under the action picture to read to your child. Have a go at writing some words.

Reading

Maths

• Complete the time sheet, play with and use the clocks in their folders that the children have made.
  • Talk about what happens at different times of the day – o’clock only. eg. bedtime, school starts etc.

Primary 2

Reading
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy

Maths

• Complete the time sheet
  • play with and use the clocks in their folders that they have made.
  • Talk about what happens at different times of the day – o’clock and half pasts only. eg. bedtime, school starts etc. practise in digital and analogue times.

Snow Closure Day Friday 19th January

HWB

Click on the video below. Watch how one act of kindness causes a chain reaction of further acts of kindness.

Daily-Kind-Acts-checklist

• Discuss the  ideas for acts of kindness  – can you have a go at some of these at home?
  • It could be things that aren’t on the checklist. Like, helping to empty the dishwasher, setting the table, feeding the cat, etc.
  • can you remebmer your New Year Resolution you made at school – are you still trying to do it?

LITERACY

• look at the busy winter scene below and talk about what the people are doing.
  • p1– act out and say some of these verbs eg. skating, fishing etc. how many can you do?
  • p2Remember a verb is a doing word. Examples: Sitting, reading, building. How many verbs can you find? Example pulling a sledge! Can you get more than 10? Choose 3 to write in a sentence. Example “The girl is pulling the sledge”

MATHS

• measure the ingredients to make the playdough

Playdough recipe

• Can you make long snakes and short snakes? Take a snake and coil it up to make a ssnail? Make little ‘snowballs’ count how many you can make.
  • Play board games at home
  • Use lego or construction kits to build some tall towers.

Snow Closure Day 18th January

Primary 1 and 2

MATHS

Length

• Take a long sick- or broom outside and find the deepest snow. Use the broom/stick to measure and compare depths of the snow.
  • measure your path, or corridor using heel to toe steps, then do it again with big strides. Why are the answers different? Try measuring other things outside or inside using heel to toe and strides.
  • use random objects from around the house to measure different parts of your body. First estimate, then measure…..eg. how many shoes long is my leg? How long am I in spoons?
  • Find a dice- or an online one and have a go at the game below

LITERACY

Primary 1

• Choose one of your letter cards. how many things can you find in the house or outside that begin with that sound.
  • Make a washing line with a piece of string and peg up some words that you can make using your letter cards.

Listen to the story below and chat about the Snow Beast. you could have a go at drawing the Beast and the Snow Beast

Primary 2

The maths for today is above

LITERACY

Listen to the Snow Beast story above and have a go at drawing the Beast and the SnowBeast in the amazing Iceberg home.

• Play the Forest phonics game to practise spelling using different sounds you have learned

Forest Phonics

Pick 5 words you made from the game and write 5 sentences each containing one of the words. You could do this on a computer or on paper.

Remember…..

• capital letters
  • full stops
  • you could also use a connective in each eg and, but or because to make your sentence longer

Snow Closure Day 17th January

• Check on your evaporation experiment
  • If you made ice cubes then take them outside to play with
  • Use some different containers to make ice-blocks/ice shapes to build with.

Primary 1

MATHS

Counting to 20 – forwards and backwards

• Make a track of 20 footprints in the snow, then jump and count backwards.
  • Do the same with other body parts eg. hands, bottom etc.
  • Look for other tracks in the snow – perhaps made by a bird or rabbit and count the prints.

Play naughts and crosses either outdoors in the snow or indoors.

LITERACY

• Use the letter cards you made yesterday to make some more words.
  • Can you write these using different colours
  • play the game below – you will know most of the letters and sounds

Phonics game

• Click on the link to the Nursery Rhymes below. How many can you join in with?

Nursery Rhymes

Primary 2

Maths

Practise/revise the number bonds for 10

Make 10 snowballs. Throw them all at your target. Count how many are in the target and how many missed. eg 4 in and 6 missed so 4 and 6 are a pair of numbers that make 10.

• Get someone in your house to quiz you. They choose a number between 0 and 10 and you need to tell them the number that goes with it to make 10.
  • play the game below, choose Number Bonds, then choose to 10. Have a go at the number bonds to 20 if that is too easy.

Hit the Button

LITERACY

VERBS

• Think of all the things you can do, these words are action words.
  • Watch the video below

Verbs song

• Write a long list of verbs you can do outside and things you do inside
  • For a bit of fun, see how many of these nursery rhymes you know? What is your favourite one?

Nursery Rhymes

Snow Closure Day 16th January

Get some snow to make ice cubes with- you could add some paint/food colouring  for coloured ice cubes. Put them in the freezer. Just use different containers if you don’t have ice cube trays.

Check on them later and take them out to play with and melt again……perhaps outside or in a basin/sink.

Primary 1

MATHS

Practise 2D shapes

• Draw a square, triangle, circle and rectangle – can you give your shapes arms, legs and a funny face to make them into shape people.
  • Go outside and draw these shapes in the snow- count the sides and corners.
  • have a go at making the shapes on the geoboard in the link below.

Make Shapes

LITERACY

• Make little cards with these letters on them……..

s,a,t,i,p,n,c,k,e,r,h,m,d,g,o,u,l,f

• Stick/put the cards all around the room/house.
  • Someone shout out the sound of the letter and you run and find it as quickly as you can
  • When you have found all the cards use them to make these words

hut    dog     fin    peck    ram

• Listen to some of the stories in the link below. We have most of these books in class and they are great for hearing rhyming words.

Primary 2

MATHS

Practise 2D shapes

• Draw squares, triangles, rectangles, circles, hexagons, pentagons and octagons – can you give your shapes arms, legs and a funny face to make them into shape people.

Geoboard game

LITERACY

• Watch the snowflake formimg on the video below

Snowflake

s  n   o   w   f   l   a   k  e

• make little cards for all the letters of snowflake and see how many little words you can make? eg. was, of etc
  • Write down as many words as you can think of to describe snowflakes.
  • Can you remember how to make paper snowflakes?
  • Listen to some of the stories in the link above  to Kes Gray books. We have most of these books in class and they are great for hearing rhyming words.

Snow Closure Day 15th January

• We have been learning about ice melting and evaporation in class so go out and get some snow/ice in a container and watch it melt indoors
  • Set up a little evaporation experiment like we have in the classroom- 3 little dishes/tubs with the same amount of water in each. Put one in a warm place, one in a cold place and one in a medium temperature and observe over the next da or two.

Primary 1

MATHS

Practise Counting to 20

• make 20 snowballs, then throw them one by one and count how many are left after each throw(Counting backwards from 20)
  • Line up 20 objects- shoes, teddies etc- again count forwards and backwards.

Practise the o’clock times 

• Find analogue and digital clocks at home
  • Play the game using the link below- play Level 1

Telling the Time Game

LITERACY

• Write some letters you know in the snow. These are the ones we have done in class so far…..

s,a,t,i,p,n,c,k,e,r,h,m,d,g,o,u,l,f

Have a go at writing some little words using these letters eg. pin, got, fir,etc. Or just do it on paper with  coloured pens.

• Choose your favourite book- see if you can spot some letters and words you might know.

Primary 2

MATHS

Skip Counting

• Practise counting in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s as far as you can go! Do this out loud as you jump in the snow and make a path with your footprints.
  • Use the 100 square below to help you practise

100 Square

Practise the o’clock times

• Play the game using the link below- play Levels 1 and 2

Telling the Time Game

LITERACY

• Go outside to play and then make a list of all the adjectives(describing words) you can think of to describe how the snow feels and looks. Draw a snowy picture to go with your words.
  • Choose some of your favourite books. Have a go at reading a little bit by yourself.
  • Write down the Title of two of your favourite books and the authors.

12th-18th December

Primary 1

Phonics
  • In the yellow book practise writing and drawing for the ‘u’ sound. Stick in pictures, write the letters using careful formations. There are some ideas under the action picture to read to your child. Have a go at writing some words.
  • Go back over all the sounds learned so far.

Reading

• Some children have a little t in their black folders. practise the sounds and blend the letters to read the little words.
  • If you haven’t done so already could you provide a little tin/tub for your child to keep words in.

Maths 

• Sing the ‘Months’ song below.
  • Look at the months sheet together and talk about birthdays, important events , seasons etc.

Primary 2

Reading
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy

Maths

• Sing the Months song above
  • use the months sheet to talk about birthdays, seasons, other important  events  etc
  • complete the sheet
  • learn the ’30 Days Hath September’ poem off by heart.

5th December – 11th December

All the children have received a Self Regulation Strategies sheet. This is simply for discussion with your child at home. They are now familiar with the four colours and the feelings they represent. Chat about how your child can self regulate if they feel angry , sad, anxious etc.

Primary 1

Phonics
  • In the yellow book practise writing and drawing for the ‘o’ sound. Stick in pictures, write the letters using careful formations. There are some ideas under the action picture to read to your child. Have a go at writing some words.

Jolly Phonics o

Reading

• Read books at home as often as possible

Maths 

Use cubes to make and do the adding sums.

Primary 2

Reading
  • Read books at home every day
Spelling/Literacy

Maths

• Complete the symmetry sheet. Use the little mirror to check both sides are symmetrical.
  • Use the mirror to find symmetrical objects, things around the house.