Mystery at Da Laird’s Haa / Author Visit

Bookmaker Visit by Robert P.4

After milk break a book writer came in to talk to P3/4/5.  She was called Christine De Luca and at the same time Iris Sandison was talking to P6/7.  Christine gave us all a book each to keep it was ‘Mystery at da Laird’s Haa’ by Bjorn Sandison.  It was fun and I enjoyed it.  She read us some bits from the book and we read bits too.   It had a lot of Shetland Dialect. Here is some I know – Muckle (big) and Peerie (small) and I know some others.  She said we should be proud of knowing Shetland Dialect because it is special.  I am looking forward to reading some more when I take my book home.

Picture by Evie P.3
Picture by Evie P.3
Mystery at da Lairds Haa with Christine De Luca

*(You can also listen to the story online @ www.hanselcooperativepress.co.uk)

Trowie Stories

On Thursday, Primary 3-7 shared their trow stories with each other. Each primary 6 or 7 was paired with one or two pupils from primary 3-4-5.  Primary 3-5 said they really enjoyed our stories and we enjoyed hearing their stories. Some stories were long and some were short but they were all fantastic! We gave each other two stars and a wish. Elsie’s stars were good lay out and good wow words. Iona’s wish was to say more about the characters. We are now typing our stories up on the computer and working on our wishes and then making them into a book for the library. By Iona and Elsie

IMG_2786 IMG_2787 IMG_2788 IMG_2789 IMG_2791

Dissolving Experiments with P3/4/5

Dissolving experiments in P3/4/5
Dissolving experiments in P3/4/5

image

image

image

Primary 3/4/5 have been making predictions about what will happen during dissolving experiments with Mr Rose.  They predicted that hot water would dissolve things faster.  Their investigations proved they were absolutely right! They also discovered that the hotter the water was, the more it could dissolve.

They used salt in their experiments.  How many other things in everyday life do we dissolve? (Here are some of the examples P3/4/5 came up with to get you thinking – coffee, sugar, washing powder…can you think of anymore?)

A busy start to Primary 1

We have had a busy 4 weeks in Primary One.  We have met the first 6 Jolly Phonic sounds, been to the Number Zoo with Penguin One, Ticklish Two and Butterfly Three.  We are learning about 2D shapes and went for a walk to find shapes in our environment.  We have enjoyed our play activities in class where our activity wheel shows us what we can choose and understand what balloon day means.  We also had a visit from Tidou who was a bit shy until we realised that she could only speak French.P1010381    P1010474 P1010385 P1010389P1010460P1010452P1010402P1010375P1010501

Mrs Bradley visits

On Wednesday the 9th of September Mrs Bradley came to dye wool with us. We looked at shetland wool and artificial wool and saw the difference. Some people got crepe paper, some people got food colouring and some people got onion dye. Mr Balfour boiled up some water and we put in the dye. We waited for a minute and put our wool in. Some people put vinegar in their water to take the dye out. The brown onion dye went an orange colour and the red onion dye went brown. We waited for about ten minutes until the dye got into the wool. Once it cooled down we washed it in cold water. Some peoples wool lost its dye, so they did it again with crepe paper. We found that the artificial wool doesn’t dye as well as the real wool. It was very interesting and we all had lots of fun! by Ewen and Sophie

IMG_2715n!

Our Terrific Trip by Eva P.5

I was so excited once I woke up on Tuesday morning, because we (Primaries 3 – 7)  were going on a school trip to the Sandness Mill and Turriefield.  I had never been to either of them so to me it was going to be one big adventure.

Once I arrived at school I was told we were to leave at quarter to 10, so before we left we did a little maths on symmetry, a few minutes later I was told to grab everything I needed because we were going.  I was really excited and happy.

When we arrived at the Sandness Mill we were greeted by two people, one called Gary and one called Louise.  They told us we were going to be split into two groups.  I was in group one with a few other people and everybody else was in group two.  Group one was with Gary and group two was with Louise.  After that we followed Gary into the mill, first he showed us the weaving loom machine.  It was very noisy and it was so noisy some people had to wear headphones!  Every hour they could have 6 jackets made, I bet you couldn’t do that with your needles!

Gary showed us a few other machines too one of them was the carding machine that makes ‘oo’ into yarn – WOW.  He also showed us a room full of ‘oo’.  The ‘oo’ was very springy and quite spongy. Gary said it also felt all soft like snowflakes.  He told us the ‘oo’ had 3 baths but they were way too hot for us but just right for cleaning the ‘oo’.  They could also dye the ‘oo’, they could make lots of colours and Shetland colours too.  There were lots of other machines like the jumper making machine and they said the Fair Isle was the most complicated and this is two of the most interesting things that one of the machines was 100 years old and another thing was the Sandness Mill is the only place in the whole of Europe where you can see the whole process from ‘oo’ to woolly jumpers and the finished product is also sold in the shop.

IMG_0521    IMG_0537                                      IMG_0529  IMG_0564

IMG_2688 P1030268

Sandness mill was marvellous and I called it the Super Sandness Mill.  I was sad to leave but happy because … Next up Transition Tuffiefield.

P1030271

Before we went to Turriefield we went to a beach to eat our snack.

The waves were massive. IMG_2697

I had an apple and once I had finished it we were off on the bus again.

I was very excited once I heard all of everyone else’s comments about Turriefield.  We were greeted by two people, one called Penny and one called Alan.  First they took us to see the turkeys –   gobble gobble   Turkey (2)

up next was Harvey the horse.  We got to pet his nose P1030284

then they showed us a few different tools and let us try to lift the heavy steel weed cutter and ploughs

(they were  quite heavy).  IMG_2571

They also showed us the vegetables they grew.  They grew melons, garlic, beetroot, kale, chillies, peppers, leeks, marrows, sweetcorn, peas and a few other things

P1030303 P1030332 IMG_2611( I almost forgot about pumpkins and broccoli and aubergines). Also they showed us inside the politunnels and said they (by they I mean two of them) are jungles then they showed us the ducks and explained a bit about Turriefield.  Back up at the shed they gave us all

peas in a pod to try . P1030340 They were outstanding.  So good I called Turriefield Terrific Turriefield and it certainly was.  I was very sad to go I had a spectacular trip.

I would definitely do that trip again.  Some of the highlights of the trip was looking at all the food, trying the peas and learning how to dye the ‘oo’ and the big room that was full of it!

But now I was back on the way back to the school and by this time I was very hungry but I was lucky because once we arrived back at the school we were going to have our lunch.

At the school I ate my lunch and then I had my break.  At break I wrote Peerie Filskit Tammie and when I got home I told my mam all about it.

I felt happy and excited for our next trip.

By Eva