Today we went on a trip to Rozelle for some fabulous outdoor learning all thanks to Stagecoach, who helped us to get there FOR FREE on our very own private Stagecoach double decker bus! 3 parents took the opportunity to join our learning today.
The weather was beautiful and we loved having so much space to run around and explore. We even went on a hunt to find the Gruffalo and climbed on top of his big tree stump hideout.
P67 have been learning all about different artists and the techniques that they use. We were delighted that local artist Tom Craig could join us to tell us all about his exhibition at the Maclaurin Art Gallery. We even recognised some of the places from his paintings!
He had a lot of interesting stories to tell us about his travels to Papua New Guinea.
We were all feeling really inspired and held our own drawing competition which was judged by Tom himself. Well done to Elsi, Campbell and Eve that won.
We had a Scavenger Hunt to find objects that start with the different letters of Tom Craig’s name. It was a lot harder than we thought! Look at all of the beautiful Crocus flowers that we spotted.
What the kids said…
- I liked sitting on a tree stump when I had my snack. I enjoyed doing the scavenger hunt to find things that spelled out TOM CRAIG because that was the name of the artist.
- I liked chatting with Tom Craig.
- I liked drawing.
- I liked looking at all the artist’s things.
- I liked all the paintings especially one that was shiny.
- I thought it was really nice that we got to go on a double decker bus!! I really liked the painting when it looked like it was raining.
- I found the scavenger hunt competition fun because we got to choose what things we could find.
- I really liked the picture of Croc Rock. My mum might be getting one because she really liked it. My mum really enjoyed it and my baby brother.
- I liked getting fresh air, especially when we had been in the rooms because it was quite warm. I enjoyed the double decker bus because I was sitting at the top.
- Today was my first time EVER in a double decker bus.
- My favourite parts were the double decker bus and the scavenger hunt. I didn’t like the gallery much because it was a bit boring but I would like to make the things I saw.
- I thought it was really nice that we all got to go out as a whole school. I really enjoyed getting to look at all the paintings. There was one I really liked because it was a view of Arran from Dunure.
- I liked when we were on the double decker bus.
- I liked looking at the Tom Craig artwork because I liked the colours and the way he did it.
- I enjoyed doing the drawing competition because I to draw a BB8.
- At the end when we were waiting for the bus some of us were sun bathing and looking up at the clouds.
- On the way back to school I was at the top of the double decker and looking out the window and I could feel branches hitting the window.
- I liked winning the drawing competition because you got to make your own picture. I used different pictures by Tom Craig.
- I enjoyed when we were crowding round The Gruffalo because we got to climb up little logs that were around him.
- I enjoyed everything and going on the double decker bus.
We learned new strategies for adding:
- Near Doubles
- Chimney sums
We wrote diamante poems about Scotland.
In Literacy, we learned about plurals.
one cat – two cats
We made our own Scot’s Dictionaries with Scottish words we have learned,
We learned where different cities are in Scotland. We glued the city names on to a map.
We redrafted our Friendship Recipes to make a nice display.
I have tried really hard to improve my handwriting because that’s my New Year’s resolution.
My group got a more challenging book for reading.
My handwriting has improved.
I learned to use a 100 square and got harder questions in Numeracy.
IIn maths we have been learning about shape and symmetry.
I can make tiling patterns using the laptop.
I enjoyed using the floor shapes to make tiling patterns.
I used coloured cubes to make symmetrical patterns.
I like playing games to help me learn!
P67 visited Marvellous Materials & Planetarium
On Friday Jacqui invited us in to the dinner hall to teach us about food safety and hygiene.
We learned that hot food has to be 75 degrees or above to be safe to eat. We got to use the thermometer to check the food’s temperature!
We also learned that soup shouldn’t be hotter than 67 degrees and that chilled food should be 8 degrees or less.
Jacqui showed us the proper way to wash our hands to make sure they are really clean!
We are looking forward to using what we learned on our Halloween Activity Day!!
Our current learning theme is ‘Entertainment’.
We had entertainers visiting our school and talking to us about their work in the entertainment industry. We heard about how you sometimes face setbacks but you have to be determined if you want something to work. They also talked to us about perseverance when you are trying to learn a new skill. We heard about their different jobs as actors in theatres, as writers creating shows and as directors helping other actors perform.
We enjoyed and learned many things….
I enjoyed doing the spinning plates because it was funny trying to start it off and I enjoyed the juggling because it was hard. I learned that It doesn’t work the first time so you shouldn’t give up.
I enjoyed blowing bubbles inside other bubbles. I learned that you can get gigantic bubble blowers.
I learned that you can blow bubble into bubble once they’re formed. I loved the bubble volcano because I thought it was interesting how they floated out.
I enjoyed the juggling with the harder balls. I learned that blowing into the bubbles is really not that hard.
I enjoyed playing with the ribbons because the ribbons were all different colours and it made me feel like it was a rainbow. I learned that you don’t have to go to university to be an entertainer but you can if you want to.
I enjoyed getting the bubble hat because it popped when the bubbles fell on it. I learned that bubbles can never be squares unless you trap them.
No one is allowed to punish you in a cruel or harmful way.
Monday – Technology
We had a fantastic day with Mr Allen in the Design & Technologies department at Carrick Academy. We couldn’t have been made feel more welcome and were assisted by 2 awesome seniors, who came in to help during their study leave.
After a tour of the department, the pupils got to see the 3D printer in action. It printed us a 3D version of our school badge to take back to show the wee class. They then followed a step by step lesson on CAD to design a keyring. The design information was sent to the laser cutter and each pupil got to take home their personalised keyring. The pupils were very impressed by the fact that Mr Allen could control their computer from his! They heard how the A3 printer can make large print jobs and we got a fantastic banner to take back to school. The final task was a Scalextrics tournament……Martha was the winner!
Throughout the day we linked design tasks to maths and gave a real context to measure, shape and scale. We also made links between the skills that are developed in the department and the types of jobs that would use these skills.
P5-7 pupils really enjoyed this learning day; they looked mesmerised by all the equipment and machines. Carrick Academy and the teachers were no where near as scary as some of the pupils thought they might be! They can’t wait to get to go back one day.
What the pupils said:
Tuesday – Engineering
We had a competitive class today! We used newspaper and K’Nex to build the strongest bridge and the tallest tower. Who do you think won??
We also made accounts on My World of Work and will use this over the coming years to help us plan our career paths. One of the games told us what animal our personality was most like; MP was delighted to find out she was a teddy bear! CG was very pleased with his falcon animal personality.
Wednesday – Science
Thanks to Professor Kate from @UniWestScotland for coming to @FishertonPS for our #STEM week #science day and teaching us all about microbes. We were also fascinated to hear about all the different science based jobs we could have one day! @DYWAyrshire pic.twitter.com/m5DIOevDt3
— Mrs Hamilton & P567 (@MrsHP567) May 23, 2018