Friday Morning (29.5.20)

Good Morning Primary 2

How are you feeling this morning?

Today is Friday the 29th of May

Lets wake up our minds and bodies this morning.

Task 1

Choose another comprehension task from the Gruffalo reading journal. Here is the link for the story again as well as the reading journal.

https://www.gruffalo.com/in-the-woods/?ReturnUrl=/

TES-The-Gruffalo-Journal

Task 2

Copy this common words handwriting sheet carefully and neatly into your home learning jotter or alternatively you can print off the sheet.

Common words handwriting

Break time

Maths and Numeracy

Brain Exercises

Task 1

Check your change from 10p

Check your change from 20p

Check your change from £1

Task 2

Practise your numeracy skills on sum dog

Lunch Time

2 Replies to “Friday Morning (29.5.20)”

1. Morning Miss Rai, hope you and your family are keeping well. Just a quick question- Ruby has been sailing through all the work without any issues, I was just wondering has ruby done subtraction when it is for eg 100-57. Yesterday with the money change and today with the maths coins activity I had to show her as if she hadn’t seen before, don’t want to teach her my way, if completely different to the way the way that you would teach her. Thanks

1. Morning Mrs Gall and Ruby,

That was a very, very tricky worksheet! We have not covered subtraction with regrouping/decomposition yet. The children will do a lot of that when they come back to school and go into P3. Instead, the children are encouraged to use their knowledge of addition and counting on/counting back using a 100 square, to solve trickier subtractions. In Ruby’s homework pack there should be a 100 square. For example, if we were doing 100-57 in class, I would place a counter on the 57 (or circle/highlight) then I would be encouraging the children to use their knowledge of rounding to the nearest 10. 57+?=60, so we need to add 3. Then from 60, I’d get the children to use their knowledge of counting in 10s to make 100 and use the 100 square a as visual. start at 60, 70 (10 jumps), 80 (20 jumps) etc. so 40 jumps to get to 100 + the 3 from the beginning. Ruby should be familiar with this way but don’t worry if she is unsure as it will all get covered again once we are back. I hope this has helped. If not then get in touch.

Take care,
      Miss Rai