Wonderful Wednesday at Kilbowie

Today was a brilliant day! Definitely the best day so far.

This morning we had skiing. We had a few nervous skiers at the beginning…but had 17 professionals by lunch time. The children got sized up for their ski boots and then hit the dry sky slope. They all took part in the warm up and within a short while were skiing down the dry ski slope. Some of them even managed to go from the very top! A fantastic experience for all of the children, as so many of them had never been skiing before.
We had a quick lunch at the centre so that we could get ready for Gorge Walking!

This afternoon it was Mrs McLean’s favourite activity…Gorge Walking. It’s now a firm favourite of everyone at Stane. We all set off together in the mini buses and went to a nearby Gorge. With wet suits, waterproofs and helmets we all jumped into the Gorge and started making our way up it. Everyone of the children gave 100% and Miss Thomson and I were super impressed with the excellent team work that was displayed. The instructors commented to me afterwards, saying how great all of the kids were and how well they all ‘gave it a go’. It was a great afternoon, and we haven’t returned with too many bruises!

Then for dinner we had an extra special treat. The Kilbowie staff kindly dropped us off in the centre of Oban. We then went to the Oban Bay Chip Shop where the children were treated to a chippy for their dinner. The children chose between a sausage supper, fish, pizza and macaroni…all with chippy chips. They then all finished with a tub of ice cream. We then walked along the harbour of Oban looking at the different boats, the water and seeing the sun set as we walked back to Kilbowie. The children really appreciated this treat and said it was the best meal ever!! It was also described as ‘tasty’ and ‘mouthwatering’. We made it back just in time for the evening activity – perfect timing!!

This evening we did a Who Wants to be a Millionaire question hunt. The children loved running around, trying to find different staff members and answer the questions to see who could get to £1million first. Unfortunately we aren’t returning as millionaires.

Today has been an action packed day. Here are some quotes from the children about their favourite part of today. Although, most of them found it difficult to choose a favourite bit today!

Aidan – I enjoyed Gorge Walking because it was fun and we got to go under the waterfall.

Marc – I liked the Gorge Walking because I liked jumping off the ledges into the water.

Alan – I liked the night activity Who Wants to be a Millionaire because I got to dance and sing YMCA.

Malcolm – I loved everything today.

Joan – I loved Gorge Walking because everyone kept falling in the water and I liked it when the teachers fell in.

Louise – My favourite thing was skiing. I liked when we had to go down the hill. It wasn’t sore when you fell, it was just funny.

Jennifer – I liked the Gorge Walking because I kept falling in.

Lewis – I loved everything because Kilbowie is awesome.

Miller – I loved everything. Everything was fun today.

Robbie – I loved Gorge Walking because I got to jump off a cliff.

Cody – my favourite thing was Gorge Walking because I liked the water.

Breehann – My favourite thing was Gorge Walking because you were allowed to jump in. I loved skiing as well.

Jessica – My favourite part was Gorge Walking. Especially when I got to jump in the water.

Emma – My favourite part of today was Gorge Walking because I got to get wet and not care that I was wet. I enjoyed skiing just as much.

Erin – Today was exciting. I loved Gorge Walking. It was breath taking and I just loved it. I really enjoyed skiing as we went from the top of the slope and we were learning skills really fast. The chippy was well good.

Kirsty – Gorge Walking was my favourite because it was slippy and scary. Skiing was scary because I kept falling but I kept getting back up and trying again.

Hailey – I really enjoyed the skiing because it felt weird with the skis on but it was good at the same time. I went from the very top.

We are all exhausted and are heading to bed early tonight. We are excited about tomorrow and our last full activity day at Kilbowie. We can’t wait to show off our moves at the disco tomorrow. Good night!