Head Teacher’s Blog – Monday 20th February 2017

Today was the launch of our Health Week, but it got off to an interesting start when I arrived at school to find we had no electricity due to a power cut in the local area!  As always, my fantastic staff ensured that everything ran smoothly and made sure the children were all well cared for despite this set back.

Mrs. Duffy and Mrs. Pollock ensured everyone had something nutritious to eat at Breakfast Club even though the shutter couldn’t go up and we had no toast.

Mr. McKenna supervised to make sure that no-one got lost in the dark corridor on their way into the hall and all of the teacher’s modified their plans so that lessons could go ahead as normal.

Fortunately the power came back on just before 9am and everything could go back to normal.  Well done to all children and staff for dealing with this situation calmly and sensibly!

Mrs. Robert and Miss Tiffney have been working very hard for the past few weeks to plan and prepare Health Week and it got off to flying start today.  They introduced the purpose and learning intentions of the week at a whole school assembly this morning.

There are lots of activities planned for the week and they began today with Circus Skills and Fruit Tasting with Iain and Kyrstie from Getting Better Together.

Pupils in Primary 1/2 and Primary 2/3 were learning about what to do in an emergency if someone became ill as part of our British Heart Foundation ‘HeartStart’ Training.

I enjoyed visiting all of the activities to see what the children were doing – and I even had a wee shot of Hula-Hooping!

The Health related learning didn’t stop in the school – the children in the nursery were taking part in lots of active exercise activities too:

However, the highlight of today was ‘Bella the Cow’: a life-size replica of a cow that we were fortunate to be able to borrow from Wiseman Dairies.

The children learned where milk comes from as part of their learning about Healthy Eating.  It has been real highlight of a very interesting day!

However, the fun did not stop there.  We held out first ‘Family Fitness Fun’ club at 3pm.  Staff, parents and pupils from the school and nursery came together to take part in a fun and energetic fitness class.  We had fitness stations, followed by a fun (and slightly competitive) game of Dodgy-Ball Tig and then Mrs. Robert led a lovely wellbeing cool down.  Thank you to everyone who came along – we hope to see lots more parents and children tomorrow!

There are lots of exciting things coming up in the next few weeks to look out for including:

• The Stane Football Team starting up again.
  • Primary 6/7 taking part in a Community Tidy Up with Getting Better Together.
  • Mrs. Parker leading the Resilience Workshop Part 2 (On Thursday this week).

When we have a full day like today, it reminds me why Stane Primary is the wonderful school it is:  pupils, staff and parents working in partnership to create a wonderful community.  I really am privileged to be the Head Teacher here (even if I was referred to as the ‘Hula-Hooping Heidie!)