Friday 12th March 2016

Primary 6/7 had a great time at the annual Shotts and District Rotary Club Quiz this morning.  It took place in St. Patrick’s Parish Hall.  Teams from St. Patrick’s, Dykehead, Allanton, Alexander Peden, Kirk o’Shotts and Stane Primaries entered a team of four pupils.  The quiz comprised of eight rounds, one based on each area of the Curriculum for Excellence.

At the interval, our team were in second place but unfortunately by the end of the quiz, we didn’t manage to place.  However, I was very proud of the effort and attitude of the team and the rest of the class who were there to spectate.  The event was extremely well organised by the Rotary Club.

Primary 1/2 and Primary 2 had a great morning with the nursery children from the ‘am’ session today as part of the monthly shared structured play learning morning.  The children were working in stations based on ‘People Who Help Us’ and had great fun together.  In the afternoon, the pm session children joined in Golden Time activities.  This programme has been such a success for the school as the nursery children are becoming so confident being in and around the school.

Friday evening was the annual Parent Council Bingo night.  I would never have believed that last year’s wonderful evening could have been topped, but it certainly was.  The Marble Club was absolutely packed with friends, relatives and supporters of the school.  The grand total raised was £1029 – a phenomenal amount which will make a huge difference to our children.  Already this year, the Parent Council have contributed to new football strips and track-suits, the Pantomime excursion and the P6 Theatre Outing.

I would like to thank each and every person who contributed to the success of the evening – those on the Parent Council who worked tirelessly to organise it; everyone who came along to support and also to the people who donated raffle prizes or made a donation in lieu of a ticket.

It’s during events like this that I am reminded how fortunate I am to be the Head Teacher of a school that is the at the centre of a thriving and supportive community!