Mrs N’s Notes ~ 9th February

My week started of with a quick trip to Coatbridge Library.  This year, Kirkshaws will be taking part in the Primary Reading Quiz which is open to all primary schools in North Lanarkshire. As always, we have a willing band of volunteers ready to take on another challenge.  This holiday weekend I have four senior students committed to reading the set texts…which are pretty substantial books.  I know they will give it their all…just like the other two teams who represented our school this week at Coatbridge High School.  On both occasions we were working alongside the other 10 schools from the Coatbridge Cluster.  These transition events are designed to allow our pupils the chance to share their learning, whilst getting to know their peers across the cluster.  These are the same pupils who will be with them as they move into secondary education.  The Burns Supper was targeted at our P.7 Literary Champs, whilst the Maths Challenge was for our P.6 Mathematicians.  On both occasions I was proud to accompany our learners, knowing that they would represent our school, their families and themselves with 100% effort and team work.  I was not disappointed.  I am so proud of everyone who took part.  As an added bonus, our Maths Team came third overall.  What an achievement!

Safer Internet Day took up a lot of our time at assemblies this week.  It is most encouraging to see our older learners share their expertise of the subject with our younger pupils.  Reciprocal learning and collaborative working at its best!

Did you spot our full page spread in the Advertiser this week?  They have started a new feature, where local children share their jokes.  As always, Kirkshaws is up for a laugh! Mrs McGarry is now working as a link person with the local paper.  We would like to raise the profile of our school within the local community.  We have a lot of learning to share…go Team Kirkshaws!

In our Nursery, our new signing in procedures are making an impact.  Thank you to all our parents for your support as we put in place the most effective procedures to keep your children safe in our care.  Have you seen all the great work going on around Chinese New Year in Nursery this week?  Fabulous effort from everyone.

Back in school, everyone finished the week by giving it their all once again for our Sponsored Event.  Unfortunately our professional athlete suffered an injury in training and spent Friday in hospital.  We wish him a speedy recovery…as we can’t wait to meet him!  I have been assured he will visit as soon as possible.

It wasn’t just he pupils working hard this week.  Our Parent Council met on Monday evening.  They are working on a range of initiatives to benefit the school community, including outdoor learning and parking issues.  All parents and carers of Kirkshaws pupils are most welcome to any of their meetings.

Our teachers were also learning this week.  Mrs McGarry was at Literacy Coach training, learning how to use new resources we have been given to assess how best to support reading across the school.  Mrs Stockwell was also out of school one morning to learn new ways to use iPads to support Maths.  I was a ‘pupil’ too this week as I worked with a group of Head Teachers, learning how to use data to inform our teaching practices.  As they say…Every Day is a School Day!

After all that, I think we all deserve our long weekend.  Remember…pupils do not return until Thursday 15th February!

Happy Holidays!

2 thoughts on “Mrs N’s Notes ~ 9th February”

1. And the new text service was also tested this week as an added form of communication from the school. We got ours successfully for the sport event requiring PE kit.