Through S1 PHSE pupils will be working through the ASDAN Stepping Stones course.
What is it in a nutshell?
Stepping Stones is a 20-30 hour PSHE/Citizenship-based programme with an accredited outcome. Children develop their skills through a series of challenges. The Stepping Stones certificate has a credit-rating into the next ASDAN programme, Key Steps.
What are the Stepping Stones skills?
Communicating, Investigating, Presenting, Using Multimedia, Researching, Independence, Working With Others, Solving Problems, Perseverance, Confidence, Respecting Others, Collecting Evidence, Planning and Reviewing, Looking After Yourself, Budgeting, and Leadership. What are the topic areas for the challenges? Active Citizen, Community Spirit, Identity, Personal Wellbeing, Money Matters, Around the Globe, Environment, Valuing Each Other, Different Cultures, Health, Enterprise, and Trips and Visits.
What do the young people have to do?
- They need a Skills Book and a file or folder as their Portfolio of Evidence.
- Carry out challenges over 20-30 hours
- Put evidence of the activities they do for their challenges in their Portfolio
- Keep a list in the Skills Book of all the challenges they do Record the skills they have developed and used with stickers in their Skills Books
- Hand in their books and Portfolios to the teacher
- Receive their certificates!