Heartstart courses underpin four capacities of the Scottish Curriculum for excellence by enabling pupils to become:
- successful learners
- confident individuals
- responsible citizens
- effective contributors.
Learning life saving techniques links directly to the Health and Wellbeing aspect of the Scottish Curriculum.
Health and Wellbeing
Experiences and outcomes for 3 -18 year olds
Heartstart training supports pupils to develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes which they need for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future.
Learning life saving skills helps pupils to:
- “Make informed decisions in order to improve their mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing.”
- “Experience challenge and enjoyment.”
- “Experience positive aspects of healthy living and activity for themselves.”
- “Apply their mental, emotional, social and physical skills to pursue a healthy lifestyle.”
- “Establish a pattern of health and wellbeing which will be sustained into adult life, and which will help to promote the health and wellbeing of the next generation of Scottish children.”