It is school policy that firm links be established between the home and the school, and parents are given every opportunity to meet staff both at formal meetings with other parents or through a personal appointment with one member of staff, be it the Head Teacher, a Depute Head Teacher or a member of the PST.
Parents may seek an interview at any time – simply by telephoning or writing – to discuss concerns, educational or otherwise. We promise to respond to such requests in two working days.
A calendar of key school events will be issued to each home at the beginning of each school session.
During the course of the year we issue a series of questionnaires to parents and we advise of the results in various publications, such as newsletters and an end of year improvement report.
Finally, it has been school policy for a number of years to send to parental newsletters with relevant information about school events, pupils’ achievements, important dates, meetings, etc. There are usually 5 or 6 newsletters each session.
A booklet featuring information regarding our various methods of communicating to pupils can be found by clicking the image.
In severe weather conditions, a situation may arise where early closure of the school is necessary.
In these circumstances we will communicate information to parents by:
- SMS text message
- School Twitter feed
- School Website
- Telephone for pupils who require additional help travelling to and from school
Parents should take the following preparatory action:
- Ensure that contact details are kept up to date, especially mobile telephone numbers.
- Discuss with your son or daughter a plan of action should school be closed early or travel disrupted.
- Enlist the help of relatives or neighbours if you are unable to meet or supervise your child.
- Follow the school Twitter feed (twitter.com/CN_HS) and council feed (www.twitter.com/nlcwinter)
- Check the School & NLC website regularly (NLC here)