Reflections of a Trainee Teacher – @EarlyYearsIdeas

“He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.” ~ Richard Henry Dann

A Couple of Highlights from Placement Week 2

This week has been another brilliant whirlwind! One of the highlights was having the opportunity to watch and be a part of the Spring Concert on Wednesday evening. It was … Continue reading

March 27, 2017 · Leave a comment

Conducting a little survey

Ever since reading Hallam et al. (2009) ‘Trainee primary-school teachers’ perceptions of their effectiveness in teaching music’, I have been really interested in how confident primary teachers feel about teaching the subject. I … Continue reading

March 22, 2017 · Leave a comment

What a Week!

I can’t believe that’s my first week of placement over already! What a brilliant week it has been! Here are some of the experiences that I have been involved in: … Continue reading

March 18, 2017 · 2 Comments

Music for Learning

As I prepare for the beginning of my Learning from Life placement (tomorrow!) I’ve been doing some reading about music education and the value and impact it can have on … Continue reading

March 12, 2017 · 1 Comment

Pedagoo Perth

Last Wednesday I was lucky enough to attend PedagooPerth – an event where teachers and education professionals from around the area come together and take part in learning conversations. I … Continue reading

March 4, 2017 · Leave a comment

Playing with Patterns

Pattern is an area of maths that lends itself to all kinds of fun and engaging activities, especially in the Early Years. I was asked to think of some experiences … Continue reading

January 23, 2017 · Leave a comment

We’re going on a maths hunt

The picture book that I have chosen to use for this task is ‘We’re going on a Bear Hunt‘ by Michael Rosen. I chose this book because it’s one of … Continue reading

January 15, 2017 · Leave a comment

Nursery Rhymes and Maths

During our first maths input, I was reminded of the importance of nursery rhymes and songs in children’s development. Not only do these songs include language skills such as rhyme … Continue reading

January 15, 2017 · Leave a comment

I had to make a bad science joke because all the good ones Argon

What is science all about? That’s a big question! Science is all around us and allows us to gain a better understanding of our world. This understanding involves questioning our … Continue reading

January 10, 2017 · Leave a comment

A couple of nifty teaching resources

Over the last few weeks, I have come across 2 online resources which I feel could be really useful in my future teaching career. These have been shown to me … Continue reading

October 25, 2016 · Leave a comment

Quelle est le date ton anniversair

This song pretty much sums up my memory of learning a modern foreign language (MFL) at primary school. We learned it until we were blue in the face, and then … Continue reading

October 11, 2016 · Leave a comment

Beautiful Books!

I love a good story! Whether it’s in a book, a TV show, a movie or even a friend telling me about their weekend – stories are what keep me … Continue reading

September 28, 2016 · 2 Comments

Reflecting and Looking Forward

After a seemingly endless summer, it’s almost time for me to get stuck into second year! With that in mind, I thought that this is a good time for me … Continue reading

September 8, 2016 · 1 Comment

The Internet is my Teacher

This morning my brain is buzzing with a thousand thoughts. Through a connection on Twitter (did I mention that I love social media?) I was advised to listen to a … Continue reading

March 25, 2016 · 1 Comment

Social Media for Teachers

Recently, I was lucky enough to be asked to host #ScotEdChat. This is an hour long Twitter discussion, where teachers and other professionals can share their thoughts and ideas on … Continue reading

March 23, 2016 · Leave a comment

To VARK or not to VARK, that is the question

There is no “one size fits all” when it comes to teaching! Throughout planning, implementation and reflection, it is essential for a primary teacher to recognize that every pupil is an individual. This means … Continue reading

February 25, 2016 · 2 Comments

Setting up a classroom

This week, we were set a TDT which got me excited – designing your own classroom. As tempting as it is to get carried away, making everything pretty. The input … Continue reading

February 11, 2016 · Leave a comment

What do I really know about religion?

I’m a little embarrassed to admit… not as much as I should! Following an RME input, we were set the task of writing down our previous knowledge about the main … Continue reading

February 7, 2016 · 2 Comments

Through the wardrobe and into lesson planning

Currently, I am in two minds about lesson planning. Part of me enjoys the creativity of coming up with ideas that will (hopefully) engage and inspire the learners, while the … Continue reading

February 5, 2016 · 6 Comments

Upstart Scotland and the power of play

Earlier this week, I attended the launch of the Upstart Scotland campaign. This is a campaign aimed at raising the starting age of children into schools to 7 years; following … Continue reading

January 28, 2016 · 2 Comments

From Tudors to Tim Peake… and so much in between

A common theme has started to occur throughout our ‘Teaching Across the Curriculum’ inputs; we need to work on expanding our own knowledge. Of course, this means that we must … Continue reading

January 26, 2016 · 3 Comments

Shhh! Stop talking!

There’s no denying that there have been many changes between the classrooms of the past, and the ones of today. One really important change is the increased recognition of the … Continue reading

January 24, 2016 · 3 Comments

Sharing our ePortfolios

Today we were encouraged to read and reflect on a number of our peers ePortfolio posts. Examples of MA1 posts: Lauren: 5,6,7…dance! Layla – Fear of feedback Claire-Emma: The ability grouping … Continue reading

January 22, 2016 · Leave a comment

Embracing technology

Today I came across an in the Guardian entitled: “Third of teachers ban electronic devices in classroom despite positive outcomes, survey finds” This came as quite a shock! With the … Continue reading

January 21, 2016 · 2 Comments