Monthly Archives: September 2018

Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Self-confidence X
 Take risks X
 Organise and plan X
Manage Time  X
 Make presentations X
 Act as a leader X
 Listen to others X
 Debate formally and informally X
 Take notes X

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Self confidence  Being able to confidently present lessons without self-doubt
 Working under pressure  By being calm and productive in high pressure situations
 Set personal goals  By setting achievable goals which will not only encourage productivity but also creating motivation to complete
Organise and plan  By being able to organise lessons effectively but also being able to plan for things to go wrong
Share opinions confidently  By being able to discuss opinions to get my point of view across confidently
Team work  By being able to work between CLD, social work and the school to provide the best experiences for children

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Part B – Activity 1

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills not yet developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Computing Skills  Practicing using computer programmes and solving issues on my own
 Use technology  Using new and upcoming technology and finding ways to make new technology easier to use
 Negotiation  Practice negotiation techniques in and out of the classroom
Take risks  Take more small risks, then progress to larger risks as I get more comfortable

Values Workshop Reflection Post

We all took part in a Values Workshop where we were split into 4 groups and asked to complete the same activity; create a new student resource for students coming to UoD.

One group was given an array of useful materials such as paper, pens, scissors, tape, post it notes, and bluetac. One group was given slightly less, another group given less that before and the final group being given 3 paperclips, a post it note, a small amount of bluetac and a pencil.

I quickly caught onto the meaning behind the activity: that each child doesn’t have the same resources available to them however they are all frequently asked to complete the same activity.

When we all completed the activity, we were made aware to the fact that the groups with the least amount of resources noticed that the other groups had more resources during the task and the groups with the most resources assumed that every group had the same amount of resources.

This showed us that we all need to think carefully about how we address our pupils and what tasks we give to them as some children are able to access the internet on all of their many electronics whereas some students don’t even have someone that’s able to take them to a library to access the internet.

A small comment, A big impact

It’s funny how one passing comment from someone can change the entire trajectory of your life. Up until that moment I had no idea what I wanted to do career-wise in my life. All throughout primary school and the majority of my secondary school I was clueless and juggling between anything from architect to a café owner.

One day, I got an amazon package in the post. It was a massive bag of fake vines that I’d ordered to make my room into the jungle that I’d always wanted it to be. I was putting these vines up in my room, twisting them up my walls and along my roof when my mum walked into my room, saw the vines and said one thing.

“You should be a primary teacher.” Then she left.

My entire life I’d been clueless to my dream job. However when my mum said that, a spark ignited inside me that I’d never experienced before. The burning desire to teach children, the desire to have a jungle as my classroom. Each table have a different plant to care for and look after. This idea of a classroom filled with children learning their education whilst also learning how to care for something and learn how to respect nature for what it is, excited me. It excited me beyond belief.

That’s why I decided on primary teaching.