Reflection of Dance Workshop

When reflecting on Eilidh’s Dance workshop, it was a much different experience than I had initially imagined. Fortunately for me, I really enjoyed it as I found it very intriguing and sparked many developing ideas for me to take with me on placement.

Honestly, being a Highland Dancer myself, I had certain expectations going into this workshop and believed I was reasonably familiar with the art of dance and would be fairly comfortable and at ease. However, I found myself experiencing the opposite in which I felt very challenged and, at times, uncomfortable. This engaged me further as I am used to the strict structure of Highland and the freedom given was exciting, so I can only imagine what it would be like for the children. This made me want to know more about how I can corporate dance further within and out with the classroom.

Dance, I believe, creates a natural curiosity, especially in children, which can be explored through many different forms and styles and to allow children to experience this seems unquestionable. It also allows the mind to wander and sometimes, for some people, this is extremely beneficial or even necessary in enhancing their academic work, it certainly was the case for me. However, this is a much more productive way of letting the mind wander while still developing other skills and having fun.

There are many things I would like to take with me from this experience, but to highlight only 3, they would be:

• If you are enthusiastic about something, it will only encourage the pupils to be enthusiastic too;
  • Allow the children to explore their own creativity by taking the lead and encourage sharing their ideas with one another;
  • To appreciate the importance of the art of dance and the fact it encourages us to think more creatively and move freely.

My Inspiration and Philosophy

To me, teaching requires natural passion and enthusiasm in order to make an impact on those who need it. Creating a positive ethos in the classroom environment can be challenging but I believe that through challenge comes opportunity. Therefore, this is what inspired me to become a teacher.

Another influential factor to become a teacher were the many school holidays I spent in school with my Mum helping her to prepare materials for her class. Even after the reality of all the cutting, sticking, laminating then cutting again, I always knew it was worth it in the overall picture. After receiving such positive feedback in a classroom and seeing the impact on a child’s learning, that is the rewarding feeling that makes all the hard work behind the scenes worth it. Since then, I’ve had my heart set on becoming a teacher and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

When considering my main goals for becoming a teacher, the fundamental foundation I aim and wish to create is a fun and positive learning environment because I believe that’s the way a child learns most effectively. I also appreciate that, for many children, you as the teacher are the constant person who provides stability and continuity in an otherwise chaotic life and I, as the teacher, aim to spread my calm not their chaos.

Through first-hand experience, both personal and professional, I have come to realise the impact a teacher can have on a young person in every aspect of their lives. I also feel that to be able to help a child achieve and aspire is truly a privilege therefore I will make the most of this opportunity.

Welcome to your WordPress eportfolio

Welcome to your ePortfolio. This is where you will document and share your professional thoughts and experiences over the course of your study at the University of Dundee and beyond that when you begin teaching. You have the control over what you want to make public and what you would rather keep on a password protected page.

The ePortfolio in the form of this WordPress blog allows you to pull in material from other digital sources:

You can pull in a YouTube video:

You can pull in a Soundcloud audio track:

You can upload an image or pull one in from Flickr or any other image sharing site.

Teacher, Lorraine Lapthorne conducts her class in the Grade Two room at the Drouin State School, Drouin, Victoria

You can just about pull in anything that you think will add substance and depth to your writing.