A small comment, A big impact

It’s funny how one passing comment from someone can change the entire trajectory of your life. Up until that moment I had no idea what I wanted to do career-wise in my life. All throughout primary school and the majority of my secondary school I was clueless and juggling between anything from architect to a café owner.

One day, I got an amazon package in the post. It was a massive bag of fake vines that I’d ordered to make my room into the jungle that I’d always wanted it to be. I was putting these vines up in my room, twisting them up my walls and along my roof when my mum walked into my room, saw the vines and said one thing.

“You should be a primary teacher.” Then she left.

My entire life I’d been clueless to my dream job. However when my mum said that, a spark ignited inside me that I’d never experienced before. The burning desire to teach children, the desire to have a jungle as my classroom. Each table have a different plant to care for and look after. This idea of a classroom filled with children learning their education whilst also learning how to care for something and learn how to respect nature for what it is, excited me. It excited me beyond belief.

That’s why I decided on primary teaching.