Why teaching?

Ever since I was extremely young I had always imagined that I would follow in my mum’s footsteps and become a nurse, it was something I always really liked the sound of but never actually considered the ins and outs of. It was on the occasion that my dance teacher asked me if I would consider helping out at dance classes for younger children that I realised that teaching was the career that was truly right for me.

Through a combination of helping at these dance classes and completing my school work experience in an additional support needs classroom in a primary school I was made aware of how truly rewarding a career in teaching can be and how much of an influence teachers have on the lives of the young people they come into contact with. I feel that watching children develop and learn is the most satisfying and rewarding experience and these feelings would be constant if I were to become a teacher.

I was certain that teaching was for me by around my third or fourth year at high school so as soon as we were prompted to begin our university applications I had everything clearly planned out in my head. Throughout my sixth and final year at school I visited my old primary school once a week for work experience which again reinforced the whole sense of satisfaction and the great feeling of reward that comes with the job. I also came into contact with my old primary school teacher throughout this work experience at which she said to me “I always imagined you becoming a teacher”, which was such a good thing to hear, knowing that others thought it was the right thing for me filled me with great confidence in going forward.

Now that I am at university the whole dream of becoming a teacher is starting to feel very real and I am extremely excited to learn lots of new things that will help me both in my placements and when I become a teacher. I am also looking forward to be out in schools learning from the teachers and also getting a real feel of the teaching experience and all the great things that it brings with it!