EBOOK ASSESSMENT

WEEK 5 – 5th February 2019

An ebook is an electronic version of a printed book, which can be read on a computer or a specifically designed handheld device. I am someone who enjoys reading, and I am always on the hunt to find a new book. However, I have always been a lover of having a paper copy of everything. I’m not one for a kindle or other reading device. Although, after completing this workshop on ebooks and the impact writing this blog has had on me, I think I might have to reconsider.

A digital learning and teaching strategy for Scotland is structured around 4 essential objectives:

1. Develop the skills and confidence of teachers
  2. Improve access to digital technology for all learners
  3. Ensure that digital technology is a central consideration in all areas of the curriculum and assessment delivery
  4. Empower leaders of change to drive innovation and investment in digital technology for learning

There are so many electronic devices out there that have the potential to be used within classrooms. However, Beauchamp identified the 7 general principles for determining if a device is an ‘educational device’ for the early years. These are:

• Encourage collaboration
  • Integrate with other aspects of the curriculum
  • Ensure an educational purpose
  • Ensure that the child is in control
  • Chose applications that are transparent
  • Avoid applications which contain violence and stereotyping
  • Be aware of health and safety issues

This week we were given the opportunity to explore the Book Creator app on the ipads. Ipads are very popular educational devices which are accessible in most schools in today’s world. I think that ipads are a great thing if they are used effectively. They have the ability to be a great aid within the classroom, however, on the other hand, they can also create a disturbance and be more of a toy rather than a device with teaching ability.

The Book Creator app is a simple way to make your own ebooks using an ipad. It is ideal for making children’s picture books, comic books, photo books, journalism textbooks and more.

I enjoyed working with the book creator app as it had endless possibilities. I also really liked that you were able to take pictures and include them in your book. I think this is a good feature as it would allow children to draw pictures then take a photo of them and insert them into their book. This would provide a great sense of achievement for the children as they are seeing their hard work being valued.

Using the Book Creator app, I worked with a partner to recreate a version of the Charlotte’s Web story. I will insert images of the book to let you read it and give you an idea of the features of the app.

References:

Children’sParliament Consultation (2016)A Digital Learning and Teaching Strategy for Scotland: The Views of Children.

›Beauchamp, G., (2012) ICT in the Primary School: From Pedagogy to Practice. Pearson.