Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Flexibility                    X
 Self confidence                    X
 Self discipline                      X
Work under pressure                     X
 Set personal goals                      X
 Take risks                    X
 Share opinions confidently                   X
 Team work                    X
 Take responsibility                   X

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Build social networks                    X
 Manage time                    X
Act as a leader                      X
Negotiation                      X
Make presentations                    X
 Listen to others                     X
 Debate formally and informally                   X
 Contribute to discussions                    X
 Converse confidently                   X
Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Take notes                      X
Write for academic purposes                    X
 Computing skills                     X
Be creative                    X
 Use technology                    X
 Problem solve                    X
 Generate new ideas                    X
Work on own initiative                    X
 Organise and plan                    X
Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Think critically                    X
 Evaluate information                    X

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
  Self discipline  This is an important skill for both a university student and a teacher as you need to be able to be independent and get your preparation and work done on time without a teacher or parent telling you to get on with work.  Working out of timetabled lectures and tutorials and doing extra reading. Turning up to lectures prepared and on time.
 Set personal goals  This is important because if you do not have goals you are trying to achieve you will not push yourself to achieve the highest level of work possible.  Making lists of what needs to be done during the day to make sure all my work is getting done.
 Team work  Team work is vital as a teacher as you have to work with the pupils, parents and other teaching staff constantly.  Working with other members of my course for tutor directed tasks and activities.
 Act as a leader  This is important as a teacher has to lead their class to get them to work well and to their best ability.  During work experience placements and any group work I have often had to act as a leader as I am confident enough to talk to most people I meet and I am happy to take control of a situation if needed.
 Negotiation  A good teacher has to be able to negotiate with pupils, parents and teachers to make sure they are providing the best service possible.  I have had to develop negotiation skills when working with pupils in primary schools during work experience placements .
 Listen to others  You have to be able to listen to the people around you as a teacher so you can resolve any issues within the classroom or find ways to teach the class better if they are not understanding you.  I’m good at listening to others when they have issues, often if someone is stuck with an aspect of the course  I have already completed I will listen to their problem and try and help.
Recognition Reflection Action
  Contribute to discussions  As a teaching student you have to be able to contribute to discussions to voice your thoughts and show your understanding of the subject.  I have contributed my ideas and thoughts to any group discussions we have had during tutorials or lectures.
 Take notes  Taking effective notes is a vital part of university as you need to be able to select the information you believe will help you understand the course to your highest ability.  I take notes during every lecture of what is being said and then when I am home I consolidate these with the notes from the power points.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
  Computing skills  I will spend more time trying to get to grips with the necessary computing skills for teaching.
 Use technology  I will try to understand the new ideas for using  technology in the classroom which are being encouraged.
 Flexibility   I will try and deal with alterations in set plans better so that I am better suited to working in the ever changing classroom environment.
 Self confidence  I will work on being confident  within situations like answering questions in lectures.
 Work under pressure  I will try and time manage myself to minimise the amount of pressure on myself and will try to remain clam and unstressed within pressured situations.
Recognition Reflection Action
  Take risks I will push myself more and make myself take more risks.
Share opinions confidently  I will contribute more within lectures and tutorials to help build my confidence.
 Take responsibility  I will put myself in more situations in which I have to take responsibility for things, even if I am not overly confident in the situation.
 Build social networks   I will ensure my social networking sites are appropriate and professional and will join more sites which will help me be involved with the teaching community.
  Manage time  I will plan further ahead and give myself allocated time periods to get each task done.
 Make presentations  I will talk more during lectures to help me build my confidence with speaking in front of my peers and lecturers and will therefore improve my presentation skills.

Recognition Reflection Action
  Debate formally and informally I will get more involved in debates during lectures and tutorials.
 Converse confidently I will talk more with the members of my course and during discussions in lectures.
 Write for academic purposes  I will improve on my grammar and spelling to ensure my writing is academic enough.
 Be creative   I will try and think of more creative ideas for how to do tasks.
 Problem solve  I will try and rationally work out any problems I face rather than simply ask for help straight away.
 Generate new ideas  I will try and think about the topics discussed in lectures and tutorials to try and generate new ideas.

Recognition Reflection Action
  Work on own initiative I will try and be more independent when  it comes to figuring out the tasks given to us.
 Organise and plan I will try and plan my daily activities more so I am more organised and get more work done.
 Think critically  I will try and think more about my work and the information given to me during lectures in a critical manner and therefore understand more.
 Evaluate information   I will not just write up notes form lectures but I will also think about what has been said and evaluate how this changes may thoughts and opinions.