Reflection

Reflection is an essential part of the primary teaching profession. It is through reflection that we grow and improve as teachers. So what is reflection?

I believe that true reflection involves standing back and seriously thinking about an event. It involves looking at the event from different perspectives. This also means being willing to criticise yourself and to accept constructive criticism from others. It includes drawing on previous knowledge from other events and apply this to present/ future events.

Most importantly, to be truly reflective it involves action. After considering the event and taking other people’s opinions into consideration, you should think of ways in which to improve. This could be applied when planning lessons, writing assignments or preparing presentations.

As I continue to go through my course I hope to engage in my learning and to get the most out of it. I will do this by being reflective on what I have been taught/ what I will teach and by always looking for ways to improve.