mhaiributtleedpd

Learning log

Theme:

Climate Change

Key Learning:

Climate change is a large-scale, long-term shift in the planet’s weather patterns or average temperatures. Evidence of climate change can include increase in temperatures, ›changing rainfall, changes in nature, ›sea level rising etc. The cause of climate change could be anything that affects the planet’s energy balance ( amount of energy being absorbed by the sun or radiated by the earth). The impacts of climate change could be higher temperatures, fresh water shortages, higher sea levels and extreme weather conditions which will differ between regions.

Impact on my views/lifestyle/practice:

My knowledge on climate change was very slim before this topic and i am now more aware of how my actions can affect the planet. Having now further researched strategies and ways in which I can reduce my own carbon footprint,i will implement these within my daily life. For example I will use public transport when possible, switch off lights when a room is not in use, switch appliances off instead of using stand by, use recycling bins correctly and deposit of food waste properly.  It was also very interesting to learn about the politics related to climate change and what they intend to do to lower the levels of carbon emissions released along with the timeline of when they wish to achieve this.

Areas of interest to further explore/develop: 

Having before viewed this topic as uninteresting, I am now intrigued to further research climate change using the materials and additional reading provided by Andrew and Louise as well as finding my own. I will also explore different ways to teach this as well as finding fun and educational activities (similar to those within Andrew’s tutorial) to do with a class/in groups.