mhaiributtleedpd

Week 7

1/11/16

In this session, Primary 6 and Primary 7 pupils form the Greenmill Primary School came into teach us how to play string instruments. Their school has a project where in Primary 5, 6 ,7 have the opportunity to learn a string instrument (violin, cello, viola or double bass). The practice weekly and work together both in sections and as a whole orchestra. They have accomplished many things as an orchestra including having the chance to play for Prince Charles at Dumfires House.

First the pupils played us a few songs then we were paired with a child from the orchestra so that they could teach us how to play the instrument. I was paired with a pupil who showed me how to play the violin. She first explained what note each string was, this went in the order ADGC and i could use the mnemonic of Aunt Daisy Goes Crazy to help me to remember. She then explained the posture and how to hold the violin, there was a sequence to how they remember this. By plucking these four strings we were able to create the song ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’.

I found this quite daunting at the beginning however the pupils were just as nervous as we were. They took great pride a in their work and revelled in the responsibility of teaching someone else. This could be implemented to many areas of the curriculum in order for a child to gain confidence. Playing in an orchestra/ learning how to play a musical instrument not only teaches how to read music and be creative within music so they can express themselves but also teaches a number of things such as discipline, team work and helps the class to bond which will increase positive behaviour.