mhaiributtleedpd

Learning log

Theme:

Disasters

Key Learning:

There are many different types of natural disasters including earthquakes, typhoons, volcanoes, fire, monsoons and floods. By each group presenting a different type of disaster, we learnt more about these in detail including why they occur, effects on the environment and the local people as well as the aftermath of these disasters. Within our presentation we also including how we would teach these (activities and outcomes) and to which level.

We also looked at human impacts on natural disasters. For example deforestation can make the effects of tsunami’s and flood worse as there are no trees to slow the flow of the water which means stronger currents and more devastating effects. Preparation and response on a local, national and international level. These include forecasting systems, government policy, funding and resources. Looking at case studies we analysed how different governmnts handled the situation of their disasters and how corrupt governments take resources for themselves. Different charities and their role in supporting countries for example providing relief efforts, providing aid and educating locals.

Impact on my views/lifestyle/practice:

I did not learn any new information as I studied higher geography however the presentations of my peers was incredibly useful. These helped to how different ways in which to teach these topics with different activites aimed at different levels.

Areas of interest to explore further/develop:

Due to my previous studies, I have a fairly in-depth knowledge of this topic so i feel there is no need to explore further however I will look into different activities and ways to teach natural disasters.