mhaiributtleedpd

Learning Log

Theme:

Environment

Key Learning:

Through this topic, I was able to learnĀ about both a natural environment and an urban environment. A natural environment is made up of the elements thatĀ surround you, for example the land, the people and the community where as an urban environment is a built up area eg a town or city that contains roads, building, industries and transport. We analysed the University campus for different types of birds, leaves, insects and lichen. Through the directed study task, I analysed the urban environment which I live in. For example I looked at the different types of building, street patterns, different types of transport offered, local industrial factories etc. With the help of studying these factors, I was also able to look at the level of harmful gases produced (pollution) in my urban environment which have negative effects on the surrounding environment and population.

Impact on my views/lifestyle/practice:

Having studied geography to higher level and Biology to advanced higher level, I do not feel as though i have gained anymore knowledge within this topic. However I have never before analysed my own urban environment as we used to analyse the likes of street patterns, factories and transport from maps so it was helpful to analyse my own so I could fully put it into perspective and grasp the concept fully.

Areas of interest to explore further/develop:

I do not feel as though I have to explore this topic further as I have an in depth knowledge already however I will research ways in which to teach this and different activities which I can do with the class relating to this topic.