Week 6

DANCE

In todays Dance input we continued to practice our dance routines for the last time. Throughout the past three weeks, I got to work in s team to come up with a unique dance routine which required imagination and creativity. Within schools, pupils would benefit from doing this activity. They are gaining many skills such as, team work, time-management, listening etc.

Once having done our final practice as a class we all put the routines together to make a big class dance performance. The lecturer then recorded our performance so we could self-evaluate our skills. This was very satisfying as we got to watch back what we came up with and it also allowed us to see the performance.

” I can respond to the experience of dance by discussing my thoughts and feelings. I can give and accept constructive comment on my own and others work”(Expressive arts – curriculum areas – learning and teaching, 2016).

Here is the video link to our final routine: http://moodle.uws.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=7698

Then watching back on the performance, we had to write 3 stars and a wish for one individual in your group. This involved us assessing their performance and involvement in the dance, looking at their timing, rhythm etc. Knowing that you are going to be watch motivated me to try my best and consider all the skills required in a dancing performance. This would be very using doing in a school environment as it would motivate pupils to do their best and also maybe be competitive with their peers. This will ensure that everyone is taking part.

“I can analyse technical aspects of dance, make informed judgements and express personal opinions on my own and others work.” EXA 4-11a

MUSIC

In this weeks music input we focuses on pulse and rhythm. We began by learning what a double and single beat looks like on music sheet and looked at the different names of the music notes. For example if we saw a square that represented 1 beat and a circle was 2 beats. We then put a backing track to create a rhythm and clapped the different number if beats in each bar. This is done in primary schools as it allows for pupils to understand the different notes have different beats. This engages pupils attention as they are determined to get it correct.

Children love getting the experience of playing an instrument, by giving a drumstick/ beaters they can create a rhythm and this will allow them to understand rhythm at a very basic level.  In my experience in primary school, I loved getting the opportunity to take back in music and even just getting sticks to keep a steady beat.

After looking at rhythm we done the pentatonic scale – the notes C,D,E,G and A . In pairs we got to use either a glockenspiel or xylophone to practice our pentatonic scales. The lecturer then made us individually play a few bars only using the pentatonic notes. I was nervous at first having to play in front of the class without practice however  I soon realised that all the notes being played fitted well with the song “Hit the Road Jack”.

poopp

I would do this activity with my class as it encourages pupils to learn instruments and prove to them that everyone can hold a beat. It gives independence and helps with confidence  to play something creative.

Reference

Expressive arts – curriculum areas – learning and teaching. (2016) [Online]. Education Scotland. Available: http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/learningandteaching/curriculumareas/expressivearts/ [Accessed 12 Oct 2016].