Week 2

ART

In our second class of art we began by looking at a story called “The Dot”, written and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. The storyline is that a young girl called Vashti thinks she cannot draw but her teacher encourages Vashti to sign the piece of paper where she drew an angry dot . This teacher believes everyone is creative in their own ways and we too as future teacher need to encourage this very strong message.

In primary school children can show their imagination in many different ways. The different aspects of media allows creative art work to be produced and it allows children to express their feelings and thoughts. ” I have the opportunity to choose and explore a range of media” (Expressive arts – curriculum areas – learning and teaching, 2016).

We then began our own mark making as each group had a big board to share with black paint on it, we then rolled the paint with a roller. We put different parts of our hands and fingers into the paint and pressed them onto a piece of paper. After creating our own piece of art we then moved around to others work and added new creative ideas to their pictures. This allowed us to use our imagination and create a new unique piece of art.

img_69301

img_33341

DANCE

When I first was told about dance I was not confident and very nervous about taking part in this session and also teaching it in school. In my primary years dancing was a hobby of mine however I never thought about teaching it.

This weeks dance session was all about not being scared and trying yo gain confidence in teaching dance. We were taught the basic dance moves that teachers should know: hop, slide, jump, turn etc. In groups we were then to create a move for each of the 10 different basic dance moves, this allowed us to gain more confidence as all groups created unique moves but we were still all correct. Then having created a move for each different dance techniques we were able to come up with a short dance routine, which according to the curriculum for excellence allowed us to complete part of second level of dance.

Another activity carried out in the dance session was to draw around someone in the groups body and label all the different types of  muscles, bones and organs within the body. Having worked in our groups we were able to complete this task as a team. This then allowed for class discussion about the importance of the different muscles and to stress the importance of doing exercise to strengthen these muscles.

In this first session in dance I was very surprised as to hoe much I learnt. I was able to come out of my comfort zone and gain some confidence in teaching dance having just learn the 10 basic dance moves and also stretches which can be carried out.

Expressive arts – curriculum areas – learning and teaching. (2016) [Online]. Education Scotland. Available: http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/learningandteaching/curriculumareas/expressivearts/ [Accessed 12 Oct 2016)