Rigorous self-evaluation is fundamental to the effectiveness and success of St Conval’s Primary School. St Conval’s views self-evaluation as an opportunity rather than a requirement: a chance to reflect on our vision, mission, values and aims and to take an honest look at where we are now, where we want to be, how we know we will have arrived and how we are going to get there.
The primary purpose of self-evaluation in St Conval’s is to give us ownership of our own development and improvement, empowering our whole school community to recognise and affirm good practice and to identify and take action on areas that require improvement. Ultimately, of course, self-evaluation is about improving outcomes for our pupils and we must never lose sight of this.
In St Conval’s, self-evaluation is:
- INCLUSIVE, involving all stakeholders (pupils, parents, staff, parishioners, the wider community, partners)
- COLLABORATIVE, working together to gather evidence, form judgements and plan next steps
- REFLECTIVE, taking quality time to address and answer key questions (see below)
- EVIDENCE-BASED, gathering evidence from a range of sources in order to make accurate judgements
- SYSTEMATIC, evaluating all areas (i.e. all fifteen Quality Indicators from HGIOS? 4, all areas of Developing in Faith, all current local and national priorities) over a set period of time
- ACTION-FOCUSED, using evidence to identify specific actions and targets for improvement.
In St Conval’s, we believe the most important question to ask at all stages of the self-evaluation process is ‘WHO ARE WE?’. If our school community isn’t absolutely clear about who we are – our vision, mission, values and aims – our improvement journey will lack authentic focus and direction.
Thereafter, the following questions from How Good Is Our School? 4 provide a structure for our on-going self-evaluation:
- How are we doing?
- How do we know?
- What are we going to do now?
Please take the opportunity to read our most recent Standards and Quality Report and Improvement Timeline, along with our current School Improvement Plan.