Update for S5 and S6

Dear seniors,
I am writing to give you an update about next steps, as well as some suggestions of ways you can make use of your extra time, if you have access to ICT. I have broken this message down into different sections so you can focus on the parts that apply to you.
School Leavers
If you have now left school but do not have a secure destination to go to once colleges, universities or businesses re-open you must speak to us. If you have not been accepted to college or university or don’t have any employment lined up we are here to support you.
Don’t put it off or fall into the trap of thinking it will all work out. The current circumstances are unusual, but you should be working hard to be as prepared as you can be for when things return to normal.
So if you have left school and do not have a destination to go to, please let me know via email. You can also speak to Fiona the careers advisor on these details;

Fiona Bain

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

Fiona.Bain@sds.co.uk

Useful links
S6- Level 6 Leadership Award

If you are able to, you can continue to work on your unit 1 and unit 2 folios. Of course, there will have been disruption to your Leadership Project. As a result you may wish to switch to something that can be achieved under the current circumstances or you could also write about everything that you had planned to do, and then in the “Challenges” section, write about how COVID-19 disrupted your plans and what arrangements you could make when thing return to normal. If you require any support for this please let me or Miss Hamid (gw15hamidshemiala@glow.ea.glasgow.sch.uk) know.

UCAS

If you applied to university you may have received replies and/or offers. I have added a flow chart to the school website which shows some of your options if you have been successful or unsuccessful.  Ms Campbell has also sent out an email about changes to your dates for replying to offers.
Useful Websites/ Resources:

Tuesday + Thursday College Courses and Foundation Apprenticeships for 2020/21
You can apply for these opportunities up until the end of April. Many of you have already done so and rest assured that these application have been received. You usually find out if you have been accepted in middle of April, this may of course be delayed given the current circumstances but I will keep you up to date as soon as I hear anything,
Useful Links
College Prospectus and Application Form- http://www.goglasgow.org.uk/Pages/Show/2041
Foundation Apprenticeship Information and Application Form- https://fapglasgow.scot/
CV and Personal Statement Writing
If you have ICT access, now is a great time to work on your CV, Cover Letter and Personal Statements for College or University.
Myworldofwork.co.uk is an excellent resource that can help you to write a strong CV and/or Personal Statement.You will also be able to take “careers quizzes which will give you suggestions for possible career paths that match you skill and interests. I have attached a registration guideline which walks you though how to get access to the website,
Useful Links
If you have any questions about any of the above, please let me know,
Kind regards,
Mr Richardson.