Back to business…

Welcome to p7b’s class blog
Sorry it has taken a few weeks for our Weekly Blog team to get up and running.
Our first week back was a great adventure, we went to safety in the park. Safety in the park is a programme which teaches 10-12-year-olds about how to keep safe when we are not with our parents. We completed 11 different activities explaining how different occupations keep us away from, danger! We met Police Officers, Fire Fighters, Scottish Power employees and Community Officers. Here is what some of our p7’s thought.
Renaska: I found it very fun and entertaining as there was a lot of activities for us to do.
Connor G: It was a very enjoyable experience for me, and I would love to do it again.
Overall safety in the park was a very delightful experience for everyone in our class.

On our second week back, we had a vote on who we wanted our house captains to be. We had to write speeches if we wanted to run for house captain or vice-captain and then let our houses vote. P6 were able to join us in this, it was a test of our confidence, but the speeches were superb. Then on the Friday we had our first house assembly and found out who our house captains were? Here’s what our captains and vice captains think.
Grace: I was shocked when I got vice-captain of Arthurlie and I am loving the job so far!
Olivia: I felt chuffed and nervous about being vice-captain of Dealston and I love the job already.
Laurie: I like being vice-captain and it is already been amazing so far.
Tyler: I am very proud to be house captain of Grahamston.

On our third week we went to BHS for BAE science road show for the P7s that are going into S1 next year. It was about how phone calls travel to another phone and how sound and light waves work in the 21st century. We were in the hall with pupils from BHS, Cross Arthurlie and Carlibar. It was so interesting and great to be at the high school.

Maths
We have 3 math groups the classy calculators, division destroyers and the rockin’ rulercosters. The classy calculators have been working on finance, calculating APR rate and Exchanging money. The division destroyers have been working on place value with decimals. The rockin’ rulercoasters have been working on word problems and how to use the four number operations. Here is what some people think maths has been helping them with.
Renaska, classy calculators: It has helped me learn about more currencies. It has also helped me understand how to work with APR rate.
Riley, division destroyers: It has helped me understand how to work with decimals and place value.
Daisy, rockin’ rulercoasters: working on my maths has been helpful because it has helped me become more confident with multiplication, division, addition and subtraction.

We are working in two groups at the moment. We have been writing letters to Mrs Black raising awareness of how our school could be more eco-friendly. We identified some issues we can see within the school and then wrote a letter explaining how we could fix the problems.
In social studies we have been learning all about the Global goals and how we, even though we are young, can make a difference to our planet. The Global Goals have been made to try and get everyone working together to make sure our fragile planet is well looked after and everyone in it is treated fairly and with respect. It links with our rights respecting school plan and is really interesting to learn about.
In health and wellbeing we have been leanring about resilience and how to be mindful even when times are tough. We have also been exploring fitness and have enjoyed having the BHS young leaders at our Wednesday sessions.
We have loads more to share but will do that next week.
Thanks for reading, we can’t wait to share our learning with you next week.
Jessica and Elise – Blog Team