National 5 Physical Education
2 Core Units:
FACTORS IMPACTING ON PERFORMANCE
COURSE ASSESSMENT: PERFORMANCE + PORTFOLIO
What skills will students develop?
• effective and safe performance in a comprehensive range of physical activities
• understanding impacts on performance (wellbeing factors)
• positive attitudes, fitness, self-reliance and self-management
• recording, monitoring and evaluating to enhance performance
• researching to develop knowledge, understanding and skills
• decision-making and problem-solving
• selecting, applying and adapting skills
• planning, preparing and organisational skills
• carrying out roles and responsibilities
• demonstrating appropriate etiquette and following rules and guidelines
• communication and interpersonal skills to build positive relationships
• demonstrating initiative and strategic skills
• confidence and creativity
• analysis and evaluation
WHAT WILL STUDENTS EXPERIENCE DURING THE COURSE?
• Active and independent learning to develop and consolidate skills, improve fitness and enhance wellbeing
• A blend of classroom approaches including experiential, practical learning
• Collaborative learning: learning from each other, in partnership and in teams as well as through whole class learning
• Space for personalisation and choice: learners choose their specialism for the Course Assessment Assignment (Performance) and select their activities for their Portfolio
• Applying learning
• Embedding literacy skills: researching and presenting information; evaluating; discussing; listening; talking.
• To gain National 5, learners must pass all Units and the Course Assessment (the Performance and the Portfolio)
• Units are assessed by the school/centre (following SQA external quality assurance to meet national standards)
• Unit assessment (or ‘evidence of learning’) could be videos of performance, peer and self-reflection, graphic organisers, causeand effect, Q charts,
oral evidence through question/answer sessions, use of ICT
• The Course Assessment consists of the Performance and the Portfolio which will be marked according to SQA guidance and instructions and graded A to D.
National 5 progresses onto Higher Physical Education