We recognise that all children are different and have individual needs and learning styles. In order that all children can reach their full potential some may require additional support. This support may be long term (for example a physical disability) or short term (such as a bereavement). Additional support for learning may be necessary to extend the learning of more able children.
Children with Additional Support Needs (ASN)
Our aim at Hazeldene is to support children with additional support needs to be fully involved in all aspects of our family centre. We want all of the children to enjoy and celebrate success in their learning. Each child will be supported appropriately to access the whole family centre curriculum
The requirements of children may be met by:
- Offering learning in different ways, adapting experiences
- Using a variety of learning and teaching resources
- Working with outreach staff from other educational establishments
- Working with the Bilingual Support Assistant
- Care Plans
- Well-being Plans for individual children
- Liaising with colleagues and supporting children when they transfer to and from other educational establishments or have a Blended Placement with a Funded Provider (e.g. childminder or private nursery)
- Team planning to share learning and teaching strategies for children who may require support
- Working with other agencies to support the child’s learning
- Consultation meetings with parents and visiting services.
- Attending case conferences and reviews
- Maintaining good communication with parents and other agencies involved
- Participating in discussion of future school placement with psychological services
- Following local authority and national policies and procedures
- Monitoring progress regularly to ensure the support being provided is appropriate.
Our Additional Support Needs Co-ordinator is our Nursery Teacher, Mrs. McIlroy.
The head teacher will also be happy to answer any questions if you would like to discuss your child’s needs further.
Information about the Friendship Group can be found here:
Education Scotland have produced the following list of links to signpost parents/carers to information about supports available during COVID-19:
Parentline is also available for support:
Within East Renfrewshire support is also available via Family First and the Psychology of Parenting Project: