Dot Dot Dash Dash

Hi! Caspian is back!

I have been learning about codes (not computer) and ciphers today. There are many different types of code, Morse and Ceasar are two examples. Code is used to write secret messages, usually in times of war, or in games.

Lord Robert Baden Powell, founder of the Scout movement, frequently travelled disguised as a butterfly collector and created visual code. He made drawings of nature, such as a butterfly and a leaf, but incorporated plans of enemy buildings. He knew the enemy was looking through his papers so disguised the information in plain view.

A simple code is like A=01, B=02, C=03 and so on.

I created some secret messages using my own code and got Mum to work them out.

Bye for now!

4 Replies to “Dot Dot Dash Dash”

1. I would love to have a go at your secret messages Caspian! Maybe you could post them on the blog for some of us to try?

2. I like your facts about Lord Robert Baden Powell – it’s really interesting that he used his drawings to incorporate plans of buildings.

3. The simplest alphabet code is where A=1 B=2 C=3 and so on. For example Caspian would be 3 1 19 16 9 1 14. But you can use any code you like so long as the person you want to read the message has the key.