Monifieth High School UCAS Guide 2024

The Personal Statement

The importance of your personal statement cannot be underestimated – it is often the deciding factor as to whether you are accepted or not. 

Competition is fierce and many of the students you are competing with have similar or better qualifications so it has to be of a very high standard.  Universities are no longer just looking for grades, but a combination of grades, skills and experiences.

Key Information

You only write ONE personal statement for all FIVE courses. (This is particularly challenging if you are applying for a range of courses).

You are limited to 4000 characters or 47 lines, including blank lines and spaces.

UCAS uses ‘Copycatch’ software to detect plagiarism.  This could result in your application being rejected entirely.  Your statement must be your own work.

Structure 

The first 50% – 75% should be linked to the subject(s) you wish to study.

INTRODUCTION:  WHY THAT COURSE

• Reason for course choice / choice of university if relevant
  • Background interest in the area/ personal experiences that led to interest

eg I had the opportunity to study aspects of Cognitive Psychology at Higher which I enjoyed because . . . . As such, I am now keen to expand my knowledge of Behavioural and Educational Psychology . . .

MAIN BODY:  DEMONSTRATE ENTHUSIASM FOR SUBJECT

• Demonstrate knowledge/ evidence of research especially further reading which allowed you to think deeply about your subject.
  • Aspects of your current studies that you find engaging
  • Future intentions / career aspirations.

eg ‘Having read ‘The Interpretation of Dreams’ by Sigmund Freud I became interested in . . . this led me to consider/ further investigate the theory of . . . ‘ 

MAIN BODY:  SKILLS, QUALITIES AND STRENGTHS

• State the key skills, qualities and strengths you have AND show how these have been developed  in different settings.

SUBJECT RELATED

• Work experience/ volunteering
  • Attendance at courses/ seminars
  • Supporting classes
  • Awards and achievements
  • Memberships of clubs

GENERAL

• Positions of responsibility i.e. Prefect, Captain etc.
  • Other achievements i.e. Duke of Edinburgh.
  • Part-time jobs
  • Interests/ hobbies

eg I attended a Taster Day at Dundee University which allowed me to experience a lecture in Psychology.   I gained an understanding of . . . .

My leadership skills have been developed through my involvement in . . . as I led a team to . . . . (give example). This demanded initiative and decision making skills as I had to . . . (give example).

STRONG CONCLUSION

• Finish with a strong concluding paragraph which concisely summarises why they should choose you.

rg My enthusiasm for the subject is clearly apparent from the extensive reading I have undertaken  . . . I have already shown unwavering commitment to deepening my understanding through . . .

Support Available

Guides and examples are available on the UCAS web site.

Pupils will also be supported through their application during meetings with their PCS Teacher and also through Teams.