Abbotswell Primary 2

Sharing our learning

December 7, 2020
by Mrs McLaughlin
0 comments

CLIC Targets – Week Beginning 7.12.20

This week our CLIC targets are:

C – I can count to 100.

L –  I can halve numbers up to 20.

I – I can find the missing piece to 10.

C – Multiplication: I can set out groups of blocks when I play (sets out 3 lots of 4 blocks).
Use objects around

June 20, 2020
by Mrs McLaughlin
0 comments

Birthday News!

Happy Birthday Demi!

Happy birthday to you,
On this your special day.
We’re so glad to share it with you,
To bring gifts, eat cake and play.

We hope you have a great time,
And that all your wishes come true.
Because we don’t know anyone who deserves
A happier birthday than you!

April 3, 2020
by Mrs McLaughlin
0 comments

Friday 3rd April

Good morning and happy last day of term!

Maths

I’m going to post our maths tests on Google Classroom slightly later on – so log in there to download your version! (Remember I sent your Google Classroom log in details on Class Dojo!)

Spelling

I hope you’ve been getting on well with the spelling activities – you could try to do a little spelling test today if you want. Let me know how you get on!

Choosing time

As it is Friday and also the last day of term, try to build in some choosing time! I’m going to add some Easter themed activities to the Google Classroom that can be accessed if you wish!

Class Meeting

I’m going to try to set up a Google Hangout video chat today at 11am for anyone who wishes to join.

To access this – log in to your child’s gmail account and you will see an invite. Clicking this should bring you straight to the page for the chat. You can join with camera and/ or microphone and it should work as long as you have logged in with your google classroom details! Give me a shout if you have any issues!

Remember that today is the last day of ClassDojo – let me know if there are any issues getting connected to MarvellousMe!

-Miss Allardyce

April 2, 2020
by Mrs McLaughlin
0 comments

Thursday 2nd April

Good morning primary 2!

I was so happy to see some of your happy faces in pictures yesterday, and I’m glad you got the April Fools’ Day joke.

Since today is Thursday and usually very creative with Shaper/Caper I thought we’d try something new!

Creative/ writing 

Watch this video from one of my all tome favourite films – I wonder if any of you have seen it?

The children in The Sound of Music put on a puppet show!
Here are some ideas you could work on:

• can you think of anywhere else you’ve seen puppets? Make a list and send me a video to watch of your favourite puppets
  • there are lots of different kinds of puppets, some have strings, some don’t. Think of a type of puppet that would be easy to make at home with things we already have in our houses.
    (clue: think of your fingers and something that covers your toes!)
  • design a puppet using materials you have in your house
  • Write a story for your puppet show!
  • record your show and share it with your classmates on Google Classroom (or send it to me and I’ll share it for you)

That’s lots of ideas – just pick and choose from them which ones you’re excited to try!

Here’s an idea for how to make a hand puppet (sometimes these are harder than they look at first!)

Maths

Yesterday you did really well identifying money and I saw some excellent work being done!

Today can you think of how much you would charge people to come to see your puppet show?!

You could even make tickets for the grown ups in your house  Remember that you’ll have to work out how much change you need to give them if they pay you too much!

Remember that there are also lots of maths activities on Sumdog and Education City to work on our weekly CLIC targets! 

Get Active

Choose your favourite online active video to get moving too.
You might want to choose from

• Joe Wicks
  • GoNoodle
  • Just Dance kids
  • maybe you’ve found your own favourite – can you share it with us?

If you’re stuck – here’s an idea for you:

I think the song will be stuck in your head for a while!

Grown ups, there’s lots of ideas here. Please remember that they are just suggestions and in no way do we expect everything to be done. We’re just trying to provide a variety of ideas to choose from!

If you’re looking for more things to do try:

• ReadTheory for reading comprehension (log in details given on dojo – remember the first thing you’ll have to do is a placement test – your child must do this on their own OR you could skip through it and get all of the questions wrong to start them at the beginning of the programme which is p2 level!)
  • EducationCity
  • SumDog
  • daily Lego challenge
  • 100 indoor activities

As always, let me know if I can support in any way!

-Miss Allardyce

April 1, 2020
by Mrs McLaughlin
0 comments

Wednesday 1st April

Good morning everyone! I hope you’re all well rested and ready to get started with a busy day!

Writing

Our first job today is to watch this amazing video.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw it yesterday! All these years we thought penguins couldn’t fly, but it looks like these penguins learned how!

For your writing could you please answer these questions (use sentences please).

1. What is special about these penguins?
  2. Where do they like to go to keep warm?
  3. What is the best April Fools’ day trick you’ve seen?!

Sorry boys and girls, I couldn’t resist one little trick on April Fools’ Day!

Arts and crafts

Lets learn about how another country celebrates April Fools’ Day!

In the UK we usually celebrate April Fools’ Day by playing little tricks on our friends and family. Here’s a PowerPoint explaining a bit more

April Fools Day

In France children make paper fish and they try to stick it on to someone’s back without them noticing. If they manage, they runaway shouting “Poisson d’Avril !”.

In French, ‘Poisson’ means ‘Fish’ and ‘Avril’ means ‘April’, so the children run away shouting “April Fish”.

I’ve attached a sheet with some fish to colour in, but I’d love to see some of your own fish designs being made too!

Please remember that if you’re playing a trick on your grown up with the Poisson d’Avril – explain to them why afterwards!

Poisson d’Avril

Yoga

Here’s a yoga video for today – I hope you’re enjoying these as much as I am!

Maths

As I mentioned yesterday – we’re going to be looking at money for our maths. To start with we will just be revising things we have already learned about (in P1 and early in P2).

I created a money revision city on Education City with some activities. The kind of things you could work on are:

• Recognising all coins and notes up to £10 (1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2, £5, £10)
  • Using money in sums (sometimes we find it hard to remember that we can add and takeaway money just like any other number, so 1+5=6 and 1p+5p=6p)
  • Giving change within 10p (I want to buy this ball for 7p. I give the shop keeper 10p, how much change do I get?)

There are lots of ways to practice these concepts.

Here’s a useful video.

I would love to see some shops being set up at home. Can you be the shop keeper while your grown up buys something from you?

You can use real money to practise with – this is the best way – but please make sure to wash your hands as soon as you are done because money has been touched by lots of people!

Here is a worksheet to look at (it doesn’t need to be printed, you could just point out the coins to your grown up) to practice identifying the types of coins.

Coin Detective

And finally, here’s a powerpoint that looks at counting money in groups of coins – it’ll help work on counting up in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s.

Money – counting in 2s, 5s and 10s

That’s lots of suggested activities today – please just pick and choose from them, they don’t all need to be completed! I hope you all have a lovely day and I wonder if any of you will trick me back?????

-Miss Allardyce

March 31, 2020
by Mrs McLaughlin
0 comments

Tuesday 31st March

Good Morning everyone!

I hope you are all well!

Please continue to look at our phonics and maths activities from yesterday’s blog post – they will be useful all week.

Maths

Please access Education City and access your maths city. There are lots of activities on there, so please choose one or two.

We were due to start some money work so i’ll be adding some revision money activities to work on.

Writing

I though we might try a research task today.

Access National Geographic Kids with a grown up an choose one of the animals you like the best.

Choose 3 facts to write down but keep your animal secret – your grown up can send me a picture of your writing and I’ll try to guess your animal!!

https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/category/discover/animals/

Reading

Choose a book from this website to have a go at reading – remember that it may not be exactly the right level, so there might be some tricky words. Try to sound them out and ask a grown up for help!

I’m working on setting up an account for reading and comprehension work but I don’t want to overload you with lots of different log in details – i’ll let everyone know when it’s all ready to go.

Music

Use this video:

Can you use your body to make sounds in time to the song? The video will tell you which actions to try like stamp, clap, pat!

Can you think up any other actions you can do?

-Miss Allardyce

March 30, 2020
by Mrs McLaughlin
0 comments

Monday 30th March

Good morning primary 2!

This post will have information for the week ahead.

Assembly

Fischy Music will be sharing their live assembly at 11am today!

www.youtube.com/fischymusic

Phonics and spelling

Our sound this week is ow.

There are 2 different ways we say this sound when it is words and it can be tricky to know sometimes which way to say it. I’m giving you 2 sets of words, but don’t feel you have to memorise all of them, I would suggest you choose 3 or 4 from each list and look at our common words.

• bow
  • row
  • grow
  • slow
  • blow
  • follow

• how
  • now
  • cow
  • owl
  • frown
  • tower

These are our common words to work on

• other
  • were
  • could
  • should

In order to learn these sounds you may wish to choose from our spelling activities each day.

• Rainbow writing – write each word out using a different coloured pencil for each letter
  • Pyramid words – start with the first letter of the word at the top of the pyramid, on the next line have the first and second letter, on the third line have the first, second and third letter. continue until the bottom of your pyramid has the full word e.g

t

t o

t o w

t o w e

t o w e r

• Uppercase and lowercase – write each word first in lowercase and then again in all uppercase
  • Bubble writing – use fancy bubble writing to write out each word
  • Play dough/ pasta/ slime – use any of these materials to form our spelling words

Maths

Our CLIC tragets don’t usually change weekly as the concepts take a while to embed. We usually just vary the activities.

C – Saying Numbers to 100

Here is an interactive number square. With a grown up or an older sibling – get them to say a number and you have to find it and splat it with a colour.

They could also try to make it trickier:

• Splat a number bigger than 31
  • Splat a number that comes between 55 and 60
  • Splat an odd number smaller than 17

L – adding on 2

We are pretty good at adding 1 on to a number, can we work on adding 2 now? Start small, and use blocks, lego, pasta pieces etc. to help you memorise

• 0+2
  • 1+2
  • 2+2
  • 3+2
  • 4+2
  • 5+2
  • 6+2
  • 7+2
  • 8+2
  • 9+2
  • 10+2

This game asks you to put the numbers in order.

http://www.snappymaths.com/multiplication/countin2s/interactive/countin2sorder.htm

(You’ll need to make sure Flash is enabled)

I – Doubling and halving

We’ve been working on doubling and halving numbers within 10 (1+1 to 5+5).

To remind yourself about halving, have a watch of this Number Blocks episode.

Can you think about doubling and halving multiples of 10 now? Is there anything similar about it?

• 1+1 = 2
  • 10+10 = 20
  • 2+2 = 4
  • 20+20 = 40

Do you see a pattern?

C – Multiplication (x3)

Use blocks, lego, pasta etc. to set out 3 equal groups. Remember that a multiplacation sum like 3 x 1 means the same as “3 groups of 1”. Can you use your resources to work out:

• 3×6
  • 3×7
  • 3×8
  • 3×9
  • 3×10

To support some of these concepts, I will be adding activities on to Education City however it has been very slow this morning, so I will update on Dojo when that is ready.

Additional activities

Throughout the week I will continue to  update the blog with more ideas for activities. Here is a Lego challenge to try! (It doesn’t have to be Lego – any building material is fine, or even drawing pictures for the challenges works!)

Please share any pictures of your activities and ideas you may have that your classmates might be interested in, I would love to hear from you!

Have a lovely day, and please ask a grown up to send me a message on ClassDojo or by email if you need help or support.

-Miss Allardyce

March 27, 2020
by Mrs McLaughlin
0 comments

Friday 27th March

Happy Friday everyone!

I hope you’ve all had a good week and are settling in to our temporary ‘new normal’. I’m so impressed and proud of how well you all seem to be getting along and it really does make my day to see your updates!

Here are some suggested activities for today.

Maths: 

I’ve sent your grown up pictures of your Big Maths Beat That and CLIC challenge tests – these don’t need to be printed out, you could just copy out the questions.

Remember that you can use counters to help you with the CLIC challenge and your number square might come in handy too!

Literacy: 

Friday would usually be our spelling test day, so this could be done if you wanted. Hopefully the spelling activities I suggested on Monday were helpful and you’re feeling good about the oa sound!

I’ve added a link for Oxford Owl website, you need to register for this but it has lots of free online books, some of which have online activities.

You can browse the books by age range and maybe try one out, you can always adjust from there if it seems to be too tricky or too easy!

As well as online reading books, there are also maths games and a home learning activites section which contains  interactive activites and free printable worksheets.

I think it’s a good resource to have since we can’t send reading books home!

https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/

Art:

Lots of schools have been creating rainbow art to show in their window to remind people that things will get better and to show lots of positivity.

If this is something you would like to do, then use whatever you have at hand (pens, pencils, paint, crayons etc) to create a beautiful rainbow picture to stick in your window and let our community see that we are sending positive thoughts!

Choosing time: 

Friday afternoon is usually assembly and choosing time.

During choosing time we usually have a variety of activists to select – our favourites seem to be dressing up and arts and crafts.

Try to make some dedicated time to play away from laptops and iPads if you can!

Thank you all for your hard work this week – I know it’s a strange time and it feels like everything is different – but remember that it’s not for always!

I’m going to send grown ups a Google Form to see how they’ve been getting on and whether there are any issues that I can support with.

Have a lovely weekend 😊

-Miss Allardyce

March 26, 2020
by Mrs McLaughlin
0 comments

Thursday 26th March

Good morning!

I hope you’ve all been enjoying some of the activities on the blog. Remember that these are suggested activities and are optional and none of you should be feeling pressure to get everything completed! Do what works for you and if you and your family are safe, happy and communicating – that’s all that matters!

With that said, here are some ideas for Thursday! In recent weeks we have bee working with Shaper/Caper which has meant lots of dance and creative learning, so lets see what we can do that’s similar.

Dance

Have a go at some of the Just Dance videos available on YouTube – I’m linking the Ghost Busters video in this blog post, but you could choose your own one to try!

Creative

Our grown ups probably don’t know very much about what Shaper/Caper is all about because it is still quite new to us. Can you create something artistic to explain to them what you’ve been helping Roberta Bruce with?

Ideas you might want to think about

• Draw a comic strip to show what happened to Roberta (her horse sneezed and she was transported in to the future – which is our present, we’re trying to help her get back)
  • Create a new Rune Stone
  • Make a map to show where some of the special items we discovered were found (the map and the special egg)
  • If you remember some of the dancing from Shaper/Caper, you could make a film of you performing – or you could make up your own dance
  • Your own idea – have a think, how could you get creative to teach your grown up about what’s been happening?

Maths

On Thursdays we learn about maths that sometimes doesn’t have numbers! Miss Dezall has been teaching you all about shapes and how many sides, edges and corners some shapes have. Could you go on a shape scavenger hunt and make a list of the different objects you have in your house that are each shape on the worksheet.

Don’t worry about printing the worksheet, it’s just a guide and you might have your own ideas about shapes you could find!

shape hunt sheet2D 

I wonder which shape will be the most common in your house? I can see a lot of circles in my house!

Reading

For reading today please choose any book that you have and we are going to be sound detectives! Pretend you’re searching for secret clues in your story book. We are going to look for some words that have sounds we know. Can you make a list of any words you find that have:

• oa
  • oo
  • sh
  • ch
  • th

As always, the activities are available on Education City and SumDog whenever you would like to do them, and the spelling activities for the week are on Monday’s post.

Give me a shout if I can support you with anything, and please continue to send me pictures and messages about how you’re getting on, they really brighten my day!

-Miss Allardyce

March 25, 2020
by Mrs McLaughlin
0 comments

Wednesday 25th March

Happy Wednesday everyone!

It’s hard to believe that we’re already halfway through the week (I’m sure some of the grown ups can definitely believe it!). I hope that by now most technical issues have straightened out and everyone has been able to access the digital resources. If not, please continue to get in touch and i’ll do everything I can to solve these issues!

Here are the suggested activities for today:

Reading and writing

Could you watch the animated video for We’re Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen.

Think about the words that are used to describe how the family are going to go on their Bear Hunt

“We can’t go over it”

“We can’t go under it”

“We’ve got to go through it”

We’ve spoken about these words in class once or twice – we call them prepositions.

Please have a look at this powerpoint that gives us some more information about prepositions

Worm Preposition Powerpoint

There is also a worksheet that you can discuss with your grown up – there’s no need to print it off!

Preposition matching 1

Preposition matching 2

Your challenge!

I would like you to choose a favourite toy and put it somewhere in your house. Write a couple of sentences to describe going on a hunt for your toy.

For example:

I went on a Hunt to find Everywhere Bear. I went in to the kitchen. Everywhere bear was inside the fridge!

Some prepositions to think about – in, on, under, through, inside, outside, beside. Can you think of any others?

Please send me some lovely pictures of you going on a hunt for your favourite toy!

Yoga

We have been lucky enough to have weekly yoga classes in school each Wednesday and this is something P2 have really enjoyed. There are many great yoga videos for kids on YouTube and I like this one (I bet you can guess why I picked this one!):

Maths

Please continue to access the activities on Education city. To practice our odd and even numbers have a go at Hit the Cocount.

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/coconut-odd-or-even

In class we normally have our colour coded number squares to help us remember which numbers are odd and which numbers are even. The one you have at home is not colour coded, but i’m adding a picture you can use here.

Remember:

Odd number end with 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9

Even numbers end with 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8

Thank you everyone for all of your hard work so far this week. These activities I am giving are just a suggestion and everyone’s priority at this time is the health and well-being of our families. Please don’t be concerned if you can’t do everything, just dip in and out as and when you can and remember that i’m here to help!

Have a fantastic day!

-Miss Allardyce