Abbotswell Primary 2

Sharing our learning

Wednesday 1st April

Good morning everyone! I hope you’re all well rested and ready to get started with a busy day!

Writing

Our first job today is to watch this amazing video.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw it yesterday! All these years we thought penguins couldn’t fly, but it looks like these penguins learned how!

For your writing could you please answer these questions (use sentences please).

1. What is special about these penguins?
  2. Where do they like to go to keep warm?
  3. What is the best April Fools’ day trick you’ve seen?!

Sorry boys and girls, I couldn’t resist one little trick on April Fools’ Day!

Arts and crafts

Lets learn about how another country celebrates April Fools’ Day!

In the UK we usually celebrate April Fools’ Day by playing little tricks on our friends and family. Here’s a PowerPoint explaining a bit more

April Fools Day

In France children make paper fish and they try to stick it on to someone’s back without them noticing. If they manage, they runaway shouting “Poisson d’Avril !”.

In French, ‘Poisson’ means ‘Fish’ and ‘Avril’ means ‘April’, so the children run away shouting “April Fish”.

I’ve attached a sheet with some fish to colour in, but I’d love to see some of your own fish designs being made too!

Please remember that if you’re playing a trick on your grown up with the Poisson d’Avril – explain to them why afterwards!

Poisson d’Avril

Yoga

Here’s a yoga video for today – I hope you’re enjoying these as much as I am!

Maths

As I mentioned yesterday – we’re going to be looking at money for our maths. To start with we will just be revising things we have already learned about (in P1 and early in P2).

I created a money revision city on Education City with some activities. The kind of things you could work on are:

• Recognising all coins and notes up to £10 (1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2, £5, £10)
  • Using money in sums (sometimes we find it hard to remember that we can add and takeaway money just like any other number, so 1+5=6 and 1p+5p=6p)
  • Giving change within 10p (I want to buy this ball for 7p. I give the shop keeper 10p, how much change do I get?)

There are lots of ways to practice these concepts.

Here’s a useful video.

I would love to see some shops being set up at home. Can you be the shop keeper while your grown up buys something from you?

You can use real money to practise with – this is the best way – but please make sure to wash your hands as soon as you are done because money has been touched by lots of people!

Here is a worksheet to look at (it doesn’t need to be printed, you could just point out the coins to your grown up) to practice identifying the types of coins.

Coin Detective

And finally, here’s a powerpoint that looks at counting money in groups of coins – it’ll help work on counting up in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s.

Money – counting in 2s, 5s and 10s

That’s lots of suggested activities today – please just pick and choose from them, they don’t all need to be completed! I hope you all have a lovely day and I wonder if any of you will trick me back?????

-Miss Allardyce