Outcomes

This week, outcomes and thinking about what we have achieved, has been a theme running through my work.

Understanding the difference between outputs and outcomes is important.

Outputs relate to “what we do”.   Outcomes refer to “what difference is there”.

In the past, we’ve tended to focus on outputs – the “what we do and who we reach”.  We have done a good job of describing and counting our activities and the number of people who come. Now, however, we are being asked: “What difference does it make?”  This is a question about OUTCOMES.

The new HGIOS and HGIOELC are outcome focused and are both tools for improving the self-evaluation agenda.  Education Scotland have published these documents and will be working with these documents from August 2016.  If you haven’t managed to look at these documents I would encourage everyone to make use of them during this session.  They help us all as practitioners to evaluate our outcomes

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/resources/h/hgios4/introduction.asp?strReferringChannel=educationscotland&strReferringPageID=tcm:4-615801-64&class=l1+d86716

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/learningandteaching/earlylearningandchildcare/selfevaluation/index.asp

Every second Monday, I attend Departmental Management Team (DMT) with other Community Services senior officers.  A standing item on the agenda is the Syrian Refugee Project in Rothesay. I was really pleased to hear that this week there was great recognition of the part that Rothesay Joint Campus has played in the overall success of the project.  I also spoke with Julie Fisher the Head Teacher at Rothesay on Tuesday who told me how the young people have settled into the school and wider community.  The staff, under Julie’s leadership, have done so much to ensure the young people feel welcomed and have plans in place for their learning to continue.  The welcome which has been demonstrated by Rothesay Joint Campus is very encouraging and supportive.  This is a clear example of the positive outcome that has been achieved from the extensive input from a wide range of people .

On Tuesday and Wednesday, Education Scotland visited our Local Authority.  The visit was part of the National review of demands placed on schools by each Local Authority in relation to Curriculum for Excellence.  Three members of Education Scotland Inspection team met with groups of Teachers and Head Teachers to gain information about our approach to Curriculum for Excellence in Argyll and Bute.  During the interviews it was a time for reflection on the outcomes that we have achieved over the past 3 years in particular.  I look forward to the results from the review.  This review will report with recommendations in late September 2016.  It will be very useful for us to look at the outcomes from this report and review our own work.

Curriculum for Excellence has been a major change for Education in Scotland and is still very much a developing picture.  I have a keen interest in curriculum design and continue to challenge myself on the what, why and how we deliver for young people.  I particularly like the diagram below based on Professor Graham Donaldson’s approach to the Welsh Curriculum.  It certainly brings the outcomes to the forefront.

Parents are an important part of our curriculum delivery plan I was pleased to catch up with staff from Dunoon Grammar on Tuesday.  David Mitchell (Head Teacher), Barry Wilson (Depute Head Teacher) and Paul Gallanagh (Principal Teacher)  who  were keen to talk me through the new Cowal Family Learning Academy.  The programme is aimed at encouraging parents to be involved in a variety of courses/activities to support their child.  The outcomes from this initiative will be interesting to review in the coming months.  Parental Engagement is key to improving outcomes for our young people.

Picture week2

http://www.dunoongrammar.argyll-bute.sch.uk/cowal-family-learning-academy.

On Wednesday afternoon I spent some time with colleagues in HR discussing the timeline and process for staffing allocation in our schools.  It was good to be able to discuss the tight timescale and how it is important for the service to ensuring there is no time delay in advertising of posts.  The outcome we all want is quality staff in our schools moving forward the learning and teaching agenda. I have spent time this week discussing some of the problems in filling posts and the lack of supply with some Head Teachers.  I also highlighted this when discussing planning for the future with Jennifer Coyle in her new post as Talent Management Lead.

On Thursday morning I attended Pre Agenda for Community Services Committee. The Education Service have a number of papers being presented to the committee on the 8th of September.  A link to these documents will be available on the Council website from Thursday 1st September.

https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListMeetings.aspx?CId=548&Year=0

On Thursday I was also involved in drafting the self-evaluation document for the forth coming INEA inspection.  This document will give an overview of the outcomes we have achieved for young people over the past three years.  It has been very rewarding looking back on how far we have developed in relation to many themes.  The document is very much in draft form and by the end of next week needs to become final.  A continuing task!!!

Friday was a day of meetings ensuring positive outcomes for many of our young people.  I met with David Bain Education Manager, Inclusion and Integration and we were reviewing the ASN allocations and trying to ensure an equitable approach which met the needs of all within the resources available.  This is a demanding task that needs to be right for all of our young people.

As part of my weekly communication with schools I am setting aside some time each week for meeting with school leaders either in person or by phone. The purpose for these meetings is to hear about positive outcomes being achieved for our young people and challenges which hamper the progress.  This past week I have managed to speak with the Head Teachers from Islay High, Dunoon Grammar, Hermitage Academy, Hermitage Primary and Oban High School.  Many celebrations of achievements were noted both academically and vocationally.  Challenges noted were around staffing and budget implications.  The job of leading a school is one which can make a difference that lasts for generations.  It is a test of character, confidence, strategy and delivery. The desire for an outcome that improves standards for young people never stops. In essence leadership matters. I have been reading during the summer the book below and would recommend it to anyone thinking about their own leadership development.  Greater understanding of leadership leads to improved outcomes.

Picture week2-1

Wishing you all  well on achieving the best outcomes this week.