People Matter

Our biggest resource in Education is our people. This week I have had a very people centred week. I love working with people and know how important it is to value the huge variety of skills across our workforce.

On Monday I was very proud to spend a couple of hours with Professor Carol Campbell from Ontario and Lochgair. Carol is an Argyll girl who is an academic and is one of the International Education Advisors to the Scottish Government. Carol arranged to meet with me prior to the first summit meeting this week in Edinburgh. I was so pleased that she wanted to hear my opinions about closing the gap, raising attainment and the current delivery plan for Scottish Education. We had a very good professional conversation.

Picture 1

On Monday morning the teaching profession via the GTCS received an email with the new guidance on CfE from the Deputy First Minister. I like many of you have been reading and digesting the information. The document is intended to look after the people at the frontline, the teachers. I think there will be some further discussions the length and breadth of Scotland on what it all means in practice. I know we in Argyll and Bute will need to talk further about some of the statements in order to support all who deliver in our schools.

Tuesday was the Education Team Meeting. A full day of training and business items. This was the first time I had all members of the team together since the new session began, we took some time to discuss the delivery plan and the new guidance. We also reflected on the skills we all brought to the team and how we should be using these to improve our performance as an Education Service.Picture 2

It was also a good chance to present Tom Paterson, janitor at Inveraray Primary with a special belated birthday present. Tom was going to retire but has agreed to cut down to a 3 day week. We were all delighted that Tom is still around to support so many of us.

Everyone who comes to Inveraray for any meeting or course is always sure of a Tom smile and welcome.

Wednesday was spent chairing the JSC meeting. The joint Services committee is set up to ensure management and staff work together to produce policy. We looked at some new policies which will support everyone involved in education.

I also managed a quick soup at lunch time with members of the Early Years Team who insisted on reminding me of my own youth. Early Years is very dear to my heart and I am always amazed at the good work going on. Follow them on Twitter and resources at SALI.

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ab/sali/early-years/

This week my Head Teacher catch ups were phone calls with some new Head Teachers to see how their first full week at the helm had gone. Graham Dickie has taken up the helm at Sandbank Primary, Julie Wilson at Gigha Primary and Graham Wilks at Tiree. All 3 very excited about their new roles and were keen to suggest some ways we could help and support. I was very pleased to hear my weekly blog has been a welcome communication to them in their first few weeks.

Picture 3On Thursday some of our aspiring leaders began their Into Headship course with SCEL and UHi.

The launch took place in Edinburgh and Sandra Clarke, Education Officer supported our new members in the first meeting. I was sorry not to be able to join the team but look forward to following their progression in the leadership journey.

Steven Simpson our Modern Apprentice in learning Technologies has been short-listed as a finalist for this year’s Scottish Training Federation (STF) Modern Apprentice of the Year award.  The winner will be announced on the on the afternoon of the 27th September as part of the STF Conference at Crieff Hydro.

Steven has been the technical support behind my blog and is working along-side Gary Clark to ensure our work on learning technologies is progressing well. We wish Steven all the very best as he goes forward, flying the flag for Argyll and Bute.

By Friday this week I was ready to spend some time trying to fight my way through a rather full email box. My apologies for any outstanding emails I will get to them. I have to admit I respond much better to people than emails.

Wishing all of you important people who deliver for “our weans” the power and strength to fight for the best for our children and their future.