New Beginnings

Picture 1This past week there has been a focus on new beginnings. Monday saw many new staff taking up posts in our schools in Argyll and Bute. This year we welcomed 21 Probationers. 15 In Primary and 6 in Secondary. It is a privilege for all of us involved in supporting probationers to watch the enthusiasm and excitement that is brought by these new members of staff into our profession.

On Monday I was also delighted to welcome new members to the central team. Sandra Clarke Pauline Inglis and John Macpherson to the posts of Education Officer , Lorna Stewart to the post of Education Support Officer ASN and Catriona Garvin as Education Support Officer for Gaelic. It is great to bring new ideas and knowledge to our Education Team. I know they have all been busy contacting schools and have some visits already arranged to schools. The role of Education Officer is about supporting schools on their improvement journey. This support is offered in many ways and appropriate to the individual needs of our schools.

It was also good to catch up with some teachers who were undertaking some training in relation to Languages 1+2. They have taken on new challenges in becoming Language Leaders. Good luck to all involved with this national development this year. Languages 1+2 in Argyll and Bute is being led by Gwen McCrosson who sent out a very interesting new letter at the end of term. This can be found by clicking here.

On Tuesday I had a scheduled meeting with Alison Drever our Scottish Attainment Advisor. Alison met with Don MacAllister, Education Manager and myself and discussed the initiatives being taken forward this year under the banner of raising attainment. The attainment advisor will be working with Rosneath Primary our only Attainment Challenge School. We hope some of the work being undertaken in the school can be shared across the authority as part of the raising attainment driver.

I truly believe that at the heart of raising attainment is the quality of learning and teaching. This is the most important aspect that every day in every classroom there is quality learning and teaching happening. I want to feel proud that I know this is happening across our classes.

On Wednesday in our schools the learning and teaching was high priority as the young people returned to their new stages. There were 779 Primary One pupils beginning in our schools. I was delighted to be able to visit the Primary Ones at Inveraray Primary. They were all well settled in the class and sat with their Primary Two class mates and enjoyed a story from their teacher Mrs Adams. It was a lovely part of my Wednesday morning. I also heard of another Primary One pupil in one of our early level classes who was heard to say “the most exciting thing about going in to Primary One is knowing my teacher”. Transitions are never easy but the success of early level classes where pre school pupils and primary one pupils learn together has made a significant impact at this important stage.

Picture 1

Some other activities this week involved attending the Chief Officers Group for Public Protection, HR topics, budget topics, reviewing new guidance documents, and preparing for inspection, reviewing staffing figures, and dealing with a rather large email box. I was delighted that Maggie McLay my PA was back from holiday this week. I am not so sure she was! Maggie ensures I am in the right place, at the right time and have the right support. She surely is my right hand woman.

On Friday I was delighted to visit Tarbert Academy. The main purpose of the visit was a discussion with the Head Teacher and Depute Head Teacher Secondary regarding the results. The morning was spent analysing results and then meeting with teachers and seeing the environment in the school for learning. It was a great visit making me very proud to be heading up the Education Service which provides such positive outcomes. There is always a warm welcome at Tarbert Academy with the office staff making me so welcome and ready with a cup of tea on arrival. It was great to spend time talking to the teaching staff who provide across the 3-18 school. I was made very welcome in S1 History class where the new S1 pupils were considering timelines ably supported by Mr Carswell their history teacher.

Picture 2

This week I did manage out from behind the desk and see what was happening in the classes. I am assured that, as all our young people begin their new challenges, there are staff keen to support and ensure the very best outcomes for the young people.

The week ended with me taking part in the Gaelic Gathering at the Corran Halls in Oban on Saturday the 20th of August. The day celebrated the very best in Gaelic in Argyll and Bute and discussion took place around new challenges and actions to sustain Gaelic Development. We were welcomed to the event by 3 young pipers from Oban High Pipe Band. They were an excellent example of the high quality pipers and piping instructors we have here in Argyll and Bute.

Picture 3

Wishing you all well for the coming week.