Anne Paterson – Acting Head of Education

I am delighted to be taking forward the role of Acting Head of Education in Argyll and Bute.  As many of you know I have spent all of my educational career in Argyll and Bute and am strongly committed to ensuring our young people get the best opportunities they can.  I came into Education as a Primary Teacher in 1982 wanting to make a difference for the young people in my class.  My focus today is the same only it is now about making a difference for all of the young people in Argyll and Bute.  This is something we all believe is important for our young people and for our future

The remit of my role is wide and covers the following areas:

• Early Years
  • Primary School Education
  • Secondary School Education
  • Youth Services
  • Quality Improvement Team
  • School Support Team
  • Education Psychologists

A focus for me will be leading and building the amazing workforce, who deliver for our young people across the areas of Education.  As a leader I know it is easy to get caught up in the bureaucratic tasks which become ever more demanding and time consuming.  These tasks are important to ensure procedures and policies are in place and that the Education Service can demonstrate accountability. These are the building blocks and foundations needed to carry out the work in making a difference.   I also believe it is important that as a leader the “soft skills” are nurtured and grown.  The soft skills of communicating, networking, mentoring and building a team are very important to me.  Much has been researched and written about in regard to leadership.  The best leaders have excellent soft skills.  Those leaders who have the greatest impact get out from behind their desk as much as they can.  They are able to motivate people, build bridges, gain support from the wider community and ultimately take forward a successful organisation.  They also lead an organisation that is effective, run well for the benefit of stakeholders, that is efficient and spends money wisely.  During my time in the post of Acting Head of Education this will be very much my approach and focus.  I want to help build an education system where everyone is proud to play a part.

Through this blog I hope to update people on the work I have been involved in over the week and some of the highlights.

This past week I have been attending DMT, compiling the finalised reports for Community Services Committee, preparing for inspection, meeting with the central team, reporting to MAKI Community Planning Partnership, meeting with Head of Education from UHI, and attending a strategic planning group related to the naval developments in Helensburgh area.  As part of that work I was very proud of the work being undertaken in supporting MOD children and families. Davina Blair, Pupil Support Advisor has been instrumental in this work and I am delighted with the national recognition that this work has had at many level.

On Tuesday I was delighted to hear about the success of many of our young people in this year’s diet of examinations.  Again may I extend my thanks to all who have supported our young people to achieve so much.

The Play,Talk, Read bus was touring Argyll and Bute this week  promoting literacy skills at the Early Years . SANY0045 I was delighted to catch up with the bus, Bookbug and some past pupils on Saturday in Lochgilphead at the Mid Argyll Show.  Reading is one of my favourite past times.  I have been delighted to have had access to some good reads this summer.  I have just completed The Rat Stone Sernade by Denzil Meyrick.  The book set in lovely Kintyre had me hooked from page 1.  I have also been reading High Challenge, Low Threat by Mary Myatt.  A great book for reflecting on a range of leadership challenges and explores how the best leaders overcome these challenges.

I look forward to working with you during Session 2016/17 and thinking about how we continue to learn from each other.