Kilmartin Chicks Have Hatched!

Very exciting day at Kilmartin P.S. Here’s what Rowan in P.7 says:

Today, 29th May, our class were invited through to the nursery by Mrs MacCallum to have a look at the amazing newborn chicks. Fortunately, we managed to go through just in time as we were able to watch the fourth chick hatch. The eggs have been in the incubator for 21 days, meaning that they were put in on the 9th of May.

Before the (hopefully) 7 chicks are able to be taken out of the incubator, they have to stay there for 24 hours, letting their feathers fluff up. Inside the strong shell is a skin-like material called the membrane. The membrane can sometimes get hard if the weather is dry, which means that the chick can’t get out causing them sometimes to die. I think that 2 of the chicks should be called Springer and Zelda.

Jessica, P7, says,
It was incredible, but I fealt quite nervous for the chick because it looked like it was struggling quite a lot and nobody could help it. In the end though, it came out safe and sound and a great wave of relief came over me.

Thank you!

2 thoughts on “Kilmartin Chicks Have Hatched!

1. That is just lovely. What a super experience for the children! What kind of chicks are they?

2. Welcome to the world, Springer and Zelda! More pics on progress please. Love this story!