SSERC Chemistry Residential

At a recent SSERC course I was able to take part in a range of innovative practical activities that I hope to be able to integrate into our science and chemistry courses at St Margaret’s.

Practical activities included:

• a novel method for carrying out chromatography that can be used in biology (separating compounds found in plants) in chemistry (chemical analysis in the new National 5 course)
  • etching zinc plates as a new way to demonstrate displacement reactions  – this allows a possibility of creating cross-curricular links with art (using the plates for printing) or CDT (shaping the plate to make a product).
  • ethanol rockets as a way of comparing energy from different fuels (this can be run in conjunction with physics to allow calculation of acceleration, velocity and average speed.)
  • making and analysing a shampoo from herbs and natural oils
  • extracting limonene and pectin from oranges and using the pith as an absorbent
  • looking at the properties of hydrogels
  • making ceramics
  • making liquid crystal displays

There were also some non-practical activities in the course including;

• a workshop from the English Speaking Union on debating in science
  • a session on “Bad Science” (examining  cause and effect and science literacy)
  •  “Active talk in Science” – a series of activities with an emphasis on developing thinking skills
  • A talk from The Ellen McArthur Foundation on “The Circular Economy”

I have already been using some of what I learned at the first part of this course (debating techniques with my Tutor Group and S2 science and ethanol rockets) and I am looking forward to developing more of the ideas with my classes and sharing the techniques with my colleagues. Watch this space for updates on how these activities have been effecting the engagement of pupils in my classes.